What is co2?

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I probably sound like a total idiot but what is co2? I keep hearing about it but I'm still confused. I've just started with live plants other than java fern anubias ect. What exactly is co2 and how do people use it?

OP
Bettafish1

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
Carbon dioxide. One carbon atom connected to 2 oxygen atoms.

People inject it into their tanks for the benefit of plants, essentially a "plant steroid"
How do you inject it? Thank u for replying

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
plants use CO2, water and light to create sugar for energy. It's a game like Oxygen. It diffuses from the top of your water into the air. If you want to get it into your water you need to use a co2 cylinder and a regulator (to reduce the pressure) and pass it through a very fine diffuser to create tiny bubbles . If the bubbles are small enough, enough CO2 will dissolve before they reach the surface where the CO2 is lost.

OP
Bettafish1

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
KinderScout said:
plants use CO2, water and light to create sugar for energy. It's a game like Oxygen. It diffuses from the top of your water into the air. If you want to get it into your water you need to use a co2 cylinder and a regulator (to reduce the pressure) and pass it through a very fine diffuser to create tiny bubbles . If the bubbles are small enough, enough CO2 will dissolve before they reach the surface where the CO2 is lost.
Thank you

New Threads