What Is Causing My Ph To Increase?

1. T

ToRo Valued Member Member

I have two separate tanks, the water from the tap going in is around 7.1 - 7.2. In testing the water from the tank the ph is it is 8.2. The only common denominator is that I use Prime and have the same filter media - Fluval biomax and activated carbon, along with a sponge filter. Could anyone tell me if any of that will increase the ph?

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you off gas the tap water before testing it's PH? By off gas I mean letting it sit for at least 24 hours.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with clk89, that is probably what is causing the difference in pH reading.

4. OP
    OP
    T

Yes, I put Prime in it and let it set overnight before water changes. I tested before the water change.

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of substrate do you use? Any decor in these tanks?

6. Anders247

Do you have any rocks in the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    T

The larger tank has a big piece of driftwood! :) Along with some river rock, sand, small gravel and regular sized gravel and is planted. All parameters are good - nitrates about 10ppm.
    The smaller tank has regular gravel, a plastic decoration and is planted - no sand or smaller gravel. Parameters are good in it as well with nitrates running about the same.

8. Anders247

Try testing the river rock with vinegar, if it fizzes, then it is changing your pH.

9. OP
    OP
    T

Done... no fizzing :/

I believe it is the activated carbon that I am using. I took water that had set over night and tested it, 7.2 - added an activated carbon bag that I use in my AQ's and this morning the ph in that test was 8.2. Is there a different type of carbon that I can try in my filters?

10. Anders247

That's weird, never heard of those raising the pH. You don't need it anyway though, so just stop using it.

11. OP
    OP
    T

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Plants using CO2 ?

13. OP
    OP
    T

Plants but no CO2

14. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

No I meand plants using CO2.

15. OP
    OP
    T

I guess I thought all plants used CO2 (?) I have anubias, crypt, val, and blyxa

Will remove them and see what happens ;) Thanks