What Is Causing Holes In The Leaves?

abcdefghi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 3 x Amazon Sword plants in my tank, but they are starting to get a bunch of holes in the leaves. The same holes are appearing in my Anubias, although not anywhere near the same level as the Swords. Crypts do not seem to be affected at all.

I started dosing using the PPS-Pro method a couple weeks ago, lighting is a Beamswork 6500K LED light, comes on at 10am, off at 1pm, back on at 2:30pm until about 5:30pm. Tank is 125G.

Thanks.

Attachments

abcdefghi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes. :rage:

I keep meaning to set a bottle trap and start catching some of them, I know for sure there are Ramshorn in there and I think Pond snails as well.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Holes in leaves is normally a Potassium deficiency. Sword are heavy root feeders. I would suggest using root tabs, if you don't already use them.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those don't look like holes from deficiencies.
It looks to me like the pest snails are putting holes in your leaves. That happened to my swords in my tanks that had a pretty bad snail infestation. Once I got the pest snails under control, it seemed to slow down.

abcdefghi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My first thought was that they do look munched on, @Dave125g mentioned pest snails as well in my tank log thread. Will give snail population control a try first and then see if things improve.

Hepting_3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To me it looks like it might need more ferts. To me the leaves look a little yellow on some of them and the leaves look like they could be on the thin side. If a plant is struggling to get all the nutrients that it needs it will start to pull them from other leaves to try and continue growing. As that happens the old leaf starts to die and as that happens snails will eat the plant as it dies and wilts back. AS are heavy fert users and as the plant grows you do need to increase the amount it needs.

Another reason why i don't think it is just the snails out right eating the plant is they would select the plant with the softest leaves. both the anubias and crypt have tougher leaves. Also AS plants are a much faster growing plant compared to the other two and will show signs of nutrient deficiency first. I had a similar problem with a lack of iron in the water and after i started dosing it took about three weeks for it to start to thrive and grow newer healthier leaves.

If it were my tank i would increase the ferts add extra root tabs (maybe one of the other plants have grown roots over to the other plants and stealing ferts?) and wait about month to see what is happening.

I know blaming snails for eating plants is often very popular and not saying it can't happen but unless you have really cut back on your feeding of fish and are starving the snails, more than likely they have more than enough food for them to eat. They do not like to eat plants, and if the population is huge you have other problem. They can not rapidly reperudice if there is not a lot of food for them to eat. But if we really look at our plants, the snails are munching on dying plant matter, not living healthy plants. If our plants are supper healthy they are pretty hard for snails to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom