What is causing all these allergies?

tan.b
it seems the amount of people suffering from allergies is on the increase. not only that, but the severity of the allergies is increasing too with each generation. in my family for instance....grandparents = no allergies, my mum = mild allergies, me = mild allergies, my sons = 1 is anaphylactic and the other is seriously allergic. I dread to think of the future generations.
also any opinions on what you think is causing it? my theory was the amount of chemicals freely used now (on foods we eat, in the air we breathe, on the surfaces we touch, in the medicines and vaccines used), but even so, my kids had only organic food for their first year and they had developed allergies by the time they were a year old despite that. my other theory was breastfeeding. more people bottle feed now which isn't passing on the antibodies. I breast fed one of my kids and he still has allergies. so that's both my theories blown!!
your thoughts please......

Advertisement
COBettaCouple
we both have some allergy troubles, more than our parents. I think it is the careless use of chemicals both in the production of produce and in the production of foods that we buy. Take a look at the ingredients on most products and it's like a chemistry experiment with words that look like something you'd find in a bowl of alphabet soup. Over-prescribing (to get kickbacks from the drug companies for the overpriced drugs) by the medical industry has helped with that along with an alarming rate of immunity to antibiotics and such. Pollution is a factor too.

well, will you look at that? It all comes down to one word -- GREED! none of these factors is/was necessary, but they were all about lining pockets with cash, regardless of the damage done to the general population.

I think (in the US at least) that breast-feeding has become more common again, but these factors affect children as they are growing inside their mother and she intakes food and air (and may have certain antibiotic resistances in her that get passed on thanks to the greedy doctors who've carelessly shoved antibiotics into her from the earliest age they legally could).

Advertisement
armadillo
My mom was a severe allergic (asthma/severe eczema), with several hospital stays, at the worst point fighting for her life, loosing her hair, teeth uncapped, everything). She'd tried everything until she decided to go to a therapist and after one of the sessions, bang! Cleared. I remember when it happened because she leaned on the fridge as she thought she was fainting. But in fact for the first time in years, she wasn't itching all over. I think she's a saint for having put up with so much pain for so long. She really deserved that break. Since then, she's now keeping a cat and a dog, which we wouldn't have dreamt of back then (at the worst times she was allergic to her own sweat, nevermind cats and dogs), and has very very very mild eczema once in a while.

And I am only a very mild allergic. Just allergic to perfume, basically. Actually, 2 summers ago, I had the worst asthma, and it was really sudden. Doctors did analyses and said it's because of the seasons being all screwed up. It means that the trees' pollen I am allergic to blooms way more intensely than before, and for way longer. So I don't know.

atmmachine816
I'm allergic to pollen some years and some years cotton seeds usually late spring early summer and that's it. I used to have asthma but it went away. Out of my almost 50 cousins only 3-4 have severe allergies and the rest have none or very little, so it's not too common in my family :-\

tan.b
mmm, i'm still convinced its more environmental than genetic (look at armadillo for instance), but do our environments really differ that much from one person to another? although the general trend over time does show an increase, which suggests flbettacouples theory on pollutants as the answer......mmmmm, interesting!

COBettaCouple
and sadly, the air and water aren't the only pollutants, but the foods at the store and over-prescribing of drugs have a big factor in the increase of allergies worldwide as well as an alarming increase in new strains of old diseases that are resistant to current treatment.

Advertisement

tan.b
and sadly, the air and water aren't the only pollutants, but the foods at the store and over-prescribing of drugs have a big factor in the increase of allergies worldwide as well as an alarming increase in new strains of old diseases that are resistant to current treatment.
so true, so true

FishResearcher
Does anyone else have allergies? Not just seasonal, though those are horrible as well. I am allergic to dust, mold, cats, dogs, and trees. TREES of all things!!! lol These allergies are one of the reasons I got my first ever fish tank over a year ago (not sure what excuse I can use for the 3 other tanks that followed.... ;D ).

Kopeth
I have seasonal allergies. I usually take zyrtec for that. I also have bad hay fever.if I'm around it I feel sick for days.

FailedSlacker
I'm allergic to something around 2/3rds of antibiotics so if I get sick with anything bacterial if I'm not at risk of death, I get a "suck it up".

I'm also allergic to honey and blue cheese, but thankfully those won't kill me.

Advertisement

Ked31
I have really bad seasonal allergies. And living in one of the worst places for allergies doesn't help. I take Claritin everyday, Claritin D when I start getting sick. I'm also allergic to penicillin and a pain medication.

LarrythEDeer
I'm only allergic to moxicillin and penicillin!

Lexi03
I have a slight allergy to MSG, a little bit gives me a headache, too much and my eyes swell shut. I'm not sure if it is really an allergy or not but feather pillows make my eyes swell shut too.

LarrythEDeer
I have a slight allergy to MSG, a little bit gives me a headache, too much and my eyes swell shut. I'm not sure if it is really an allergy or not but feather pillows make my eyes swell shut too.

Coconuts give me headaches. LOL!

Advertisement

Chicken farmer
When I was a baby I was a little allergic to strawberries. And soap growing up. I couldn't use soap exept baby soap. If I disuse regular soap my hands would break out and they would feel on fire. Very painful. And in winter my hands would dry out, and crack, that hurt a lot also.

Thankfully I wasn't allergic to strawberries that Long like till I was 3 or 4 I out grew it and the hands I grew out of it also, I was about 10 when I could use soap.

Butterfly
I'm allergic to tomatoes. My throat swells (gasp). So obviously I don't eat them and am very careful when eating out.
Carol

Pandora
I'm allergic to bloodworms and mangoes, which give me a rash like poison ivy, only around my mouth! I can still eat them if I'm careful as it's the skin that causes the reaction.

mosaicguppy
I think I'm allergic to mangoes too, I couldn't figure out what was causing the bad rash I had until after eating a mango. Took more than a week to recover!

Advertisement

MissJuniper
I'm allergic to the artificial sweeteners sucralose (splenda), aspartame, and acesulfame potassium. Any time I start drinking something with one (or more) of those, my throat starts to swell up. I also have a mild allergy to stevia, but I'm still able to have it in small amounts (I get a bad headache if I have too much).

I also have a year-round allergy to something in the air where I live now (stupid desert).

I remember the good ol' days when I wasn't allergic to ANYTHING...-sigh-

ploopy
allergic to bee stings,as far as hay,weed ,tree,flower pollen,it use to bother me real bad and had a bee keeper tell me to take a teaspoon of honey a day and it will help so I tried it and haven't had problems since.Make sure the honey is local though.

catsma_97504
Oh Lord, I have a long list of allergens........

Bee stings, dust mites, molds, trees, grass, certain narcotics, most cleaning products, perfumes. Then, there are the seasonal allergies and hay fever.

I take Singulair daily and when it stops working I have to go to the Doctor for an adrenaline shot, sometimes prednisone.

ucdcrew
Peanuts. Everyone's favorite. Funny story, I actually had a reaction a couple weeks ago. Lucky I was in fire camp with lots of bored paramedics.

Advertisement

FishResearcher
I take Singular daily and am on a steriod inhaler that has to be swallowed. I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis, so my allergies damage my esophagus and makes me choke on EVERYTHING.

catsma_97504
Inhalers and nebulizers fill my home and office. You never know when an asthma attack will hit or what triggers it.

callichma
My seasonal allergies are better, I think, since I started taking vitamin D3.

catsma_97504
I find it interesting that your allergies appear to be reduced by taking D3. I've had to take massive doses due to being so deficient when discovered that they couldn't even measure my blood levels. I know D3 has greatly reduced my migraines to the point I rarely get a migraine now.

Advertisement

Pandora
I think I'm allergic to mangoes too, I couldn't figure out what was causing the bad rash I had until after eating a mango. Took more than a week to recover!

Yeah, it's not life threatening but still not pleasant for sure! For some reason the kinds we get in Canada don't bother me at all... maybe not as fresh or different varieties or something... found out for the first time when I went to Florida and had some delicious mangoes there, and then a nasty face rash for the rest of the holiday! By the time I moved to Australia years later I'd pretty much forgotten about it till mango season came along! Seems the more delicious the mango the more likely I am to react too

callichma
I find it interesting that your allergies appear to be reduced by taking D3. I've had to take massive doses due to being so deficient when discovered that they couldn't even measure my blood levels. I know D3 has greatly reduced my migraines to the point I rarely get a migraine now.

There's a lot of exciting research coming out about D3. I started taking big doses to raise my blood levels from normal to therapeutic to help my bones. Some of the info suggests it helps your immune system work better even to the point of preventing some forms of cancer and type I diabetes (insulin dependent), and easing the abnormal autoimmune response which can exhibit as allergies and even muscle aches and pains.

ROK99
I'm allergic to:
dust mites, Dogs, spider bites, and pollen

ASlso, Whenever I go to montreal, I have itchy eyes.

Lexi03
I'm allergic to something around 2/3rds of antibiotics so if I get sick with anything bacterial if I'm not at risk of death, I get a "suck it up".

I'm also allergic to honey and blue cheese, but thankfully those won't kill me.

I didn't add them to my list because I'm pretty sure they don't count, but honey,maple syrup, agave nectar and tequila all make me violently ill. ( think the worlds worst case of stomach flu) Oddly enough I am not alergic to bees or tree nuts.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mefinnegan67
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views