What is Bio Wheel?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by zjh828266, Dec 27, 2012.

1. z

zjh828266 Valued Member Member

My friend just gave me a filter with a Bio Wheel, what does bio wheel do? And will bio wheel becomes useless if you dont use it for a long time?

2. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

The bio wheel is probably part of a marineland filter, that's where I usually hear it being referred to. It's where the beneficial bacteria grow. If its been dry for a while all the BB will be dead. it's still usable, just needs to cycle again :)

3. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

like klogue2 said.
    what happens is the wheel is put at the output of a hob usually marineland or penguin and as the water from the output hits the wheel it makes the wheel turn (kind of like one of the those river water wheels that are used to generate electricity), when the wheel turns it builds bb that will convert the ammonia and nitrite. the reason they turn is so that air will reach the bb along with the water. it makes a more efficient colony of bb than just a filter media that is fully submerged. the thing with the bio-wheels is they usually do not work properly and kind of suck. they are good when used properly. it is like a wet dry filter but as a wheel.

4. Jaq

Jaq Valued Member Member

I agree with FishFanatic245. Biowheels aren't that great of a filtration method because even if you clean them, they spin slowly and not at all at some times. This kills all of the BB, and you're left with an average-working filter. If you want to, you could get a better filter if you have the extra 30 dollars. Lol

5. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

If the wheel isn't working properly, you should be able to remove it and have a standard HOB.

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The above comments are correct about what the bio-wheel does. (bio filtration)

The fact that they slow down is not necessarily a problem. When the wheel is new, it spins freely, but as time passes, and the bacteria colonise the wheel, it becomes heavier, meaning that it slows down. Both Penguin and Marineland advise that a slowing and intermittent bio-wheel is the sign of an established wheel..... do not throw it out!

It is when the wheel completely stops spinning that one might get concerned. As long as the wheel is rotating (at whatever rate), and staying wet, it is doing its job. If it stalls, allowing parts to dry out, then you may have an issue that needs addressing.

Just my 2c, but if I ever had to run a HOB again, I'd go bio-wheel - I loved it. (I run canisters now.)

7. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I agree with Ryanr, they work fine most of the time. I've used them for years without a problem. Occasionally, one needed to be soaked in vinegar water to dissolve the hard water build-up on the spindle. Yes, that destroyed the BB colony, but the rest of the filter still did it's job, and re-populated the bio-wheel fairly quickly, I would assume.

This may not even be a problem if you have soft water. As stated, as long as the wheel is turning enough to keep it completely wet, you should be fine.

All that said, I now buy AquaClears. I like all the extra room for added media. If they would switch to a self-priming design, they would be PERFECT.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

So true. I wonder if the C series is self priming.

9. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

the c series is not self priming, it is the same as the ac filters, just fill it up make sure the intake is in the right position and plug her in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice