What Is And Where To Find Pothos?

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is pothos? I think it's a plant that helps clean nitrates, but am I right? If it is, where would I put it in my tank? Where could I buy it? What would I want to look for in a plant?

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
pathos are a sort of vine like plant, andthey will grow hydroponically/aquaponically pretty easily the foliage needs to be out of the water while the stem and roots remain submerged. I don’t necessarily know a lot about their ability to filter, but the general consensus is that yes, they do help filter out nitrates.

They are pretty common, should be able to find anywhere that sells house plants, my local Home Depot even sells them I’m pretty sure. That being said if you know anyone or can find anyone locally who has one you can just use the cuttings to propagate new plants.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2@ 40b with rams under the 65gs !
Picture must have been Sunday night with boxes prepped for Monday shipping !
The pothos is tangled and hanging on a nice piece of Manzanita wood that is barely visible..
The plant now goes all the way around the room and touches all 20+ tanks !
I think there are more benefits then nutrient removal from the roots creating a natural environment for fish to better quality air.
I even kind of think my fish dig looking out and seeing some greenery ?? Sure would reason to think it could even calm the fish visually ?
I know they enjoy surface cover how ever you can offer it ..

DannyPritchett01

Reaction score
Pothos is a house plant that someone decided would be a good aquarium topper. Right now you may find it at your local walmart on clearance. Lowes and Home depot usually keeps it indoors. Some garden centers will also carry it. I also have propagated purple heart secretia and wondering jew. Ladies love vining house plants so when you prune cuttings, root them in water, make hanging baskets and give them or sell them to ppl you know.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DannyPritchett01 -
you said, "I also have propagated purple heart secretia and wondering jew."
Are you talking about using them in your tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom