What Is An Aquarium Air Stone And How Does It Work?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Miss Mouse,
You might want to consider filtering your tank with a sponge filter, and save your fluval for a future larger tank? You probably have MTS like the rest of us, so it's just a matter of time when you will want a get a bigger tank (hehe). Sponge filters are relatively cheap and do a good job. You wouldn't have the tidal wave issue anymore either.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it is a sponge filter! It's got sponges inside it and hangs inside the tank on a sucker pad with a long canister that you can open to change/clean the sponge.
I've got the tank already and its massive! Its about 3 feet long and about a foot and a half high.I cant remember how many gallons at the moment.. ??? My brother knows! I THINK its about 170 litres..
I looked at external filters but they're just so expensive and I had to buy a filter because I had the tank full of goldfish. They're now in the pond so I have the tank free for some fish but due to lack of funds I'm just doing a little bit per month. ;D

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, is an example of a sponge filter.  Yours is actually called an internal filter.  Sponge filters don't have motors in them, and pull water through the sponge by suction caused by an air pump through an air line attached to the filter.  I have some in my tank right now that look like .  It sounds like you have some planning to do on that big tank though.  How exciting! 

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oooh I see the difference, thanks for that! You learn something new every day Yeah, lots of planning an a fair bit of money too. I've got to find a big enough and strong enough stand to hold it up!

joe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Back to Air Stones: I have a bubble wall and a regular small Air stone. Like FishFan My Fish love playing in my bubble wall

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads