What is a small kind of pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by genie, Mar 19, 2010.

1. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

I want a small pleco that will eat algae and not get huge. I haven't stocked my tank yet, with the exception of 5 red eye tetras and 3 ghost shrimp. Its a 55 gallon.

Also-- I want names of plecos that are somewhat easy to find. My LFS options aren't as good as some.

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

bristlenose get to 6 inches :)

3. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Clown Plecos stay small 4 1/2 inches, and they are pretty cool looking.
    They are wood eaters, and in my opinion not all that big on algea. Although some peoples opinion will differ on that.

I think for eating algea, a Bristlenose would be a better choice.

4. OP
    OP
    genie

Well the LFS only had a clown pleco. I got him, but now I gotta find some good driftwood. I didn't read this post before I brought him home. I went for a bristlenose, but since they didn't have one, I settled. Hopefully I can get the algae controlled with blackouts.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You are so lucky to live in a city with a really great aquarium club and they are having an auction on March 27!   You might be able to find a small pleco and other stuff at a really good price. You don't have to be a member to attend.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    genie

OMG I didn't know! Thanks for the great info! That isn't all that far from my house.... YAY:;balloons

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Also, there is the emperor (flash) pleco, king tiger pleco, rubberlip (bulldog) pleco, and the super rare zebra pleco, all of which stay 6 inches and under. I know you already got the clown pleco.

8. Butterfly

Welcome! I understand they always have alot of stuff for sale. You might find the fish you want from a hobbyist.
    Carol

9. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

Clown or bn plecos. ( their are also dwarf bn plecos as well).

10. Butterfly

Cool! Don't think I've ever seen or heard of dwarf bristlenose before. They usually get5-6 inches.
    Carol

11. e

edarion New Member Member

your best bet in terms of the most hardy species is the
    Bristlenose pleco. Its true that they can get up to Five inches. but in the aquarium it rarely happens. they get up to maybe 3 inches max.

Or the pit bull pleco which is even smaller

12. Butterfly

Welcome to FishLore edarion!

Really? My bristlenose always get at least five inches. given the room and water conditions they need most fish will get close to their normal size.

The Pitbull Pleco(LDA25) would indeed be a find. At two inches it would fit perfect, They are really hard to find.  

The Bulldog pleco(Chaestoma sp.) at almost four inches would be another to consider.  
    carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice