Question What is a reasonable price for a 55 gallon or 60 gallon fish tank on craigslist?

raptorsvt79

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'm looking to get a bigger tank, and was wondering from your experiences what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 55 or 60 gallon fish tank on craigslist, of course with stand and at least lighting.

Jim

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Being that PETCO has them for $1.00 per gallon every so often, I would think something in that neighborhood depending on the age and condition.

PS: being that you hear some weird stuff happening to folks on Craigs list, please insure that you meet in a public parking lot if you decide to buy. OR bring 2 or 3 friends if you'd just want to look.

OP
raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw a 60 gallon with black stand and lighting for 200.00, but with no other extras...it says obo

April R

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FREE!!, j/k
with an entire setup (i.e. hood, light, maybe filter) for a used 55G I would pay $250
without not more than $50, because it is used and I would have to prep it, which is a hassle

that is of course assuming it isn't some fancy no seams, bowfrount, etc type tank.

AbsolutTalent

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have always been pretty leery about buying stuff off craigslist. Tanks especially.
My fear is if I am buying something used, you don't know what was going on in it. For all you know someone thought they were helping clean the tank out, and scrubbed it really good with dishsoap or something, and that would lead to a bad time.
Or a bad seam, leak breaks out. You have to deal with fixing it yourself because not many people on craigslist have a "return policy"

But if you go that route, I always felt that 50% of retail price is what used should go for. Maybe I'm just cheap though.......

Looking at my local craigslist, I'm seeing prices from $80 for a tank+fish to $300 for a whole set up with accessories. Average of $150 for tank+lights. Some stands are listed for free.

fot80

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Craigslist is a shoot. You can find some great things, but..... Petco and Petsmart from time to time have great deals on 40 gallon tanks I'd stay away from Craig's list. I've had such frustration with craigs list. Especially selling stuff. I would get endless e-mails when I would sell things. I remember the nerve of one guy asking if I was willing to drive half way for a canister filter I was unloading for 20 dollars. And then when I said no, telling me that it wasn't worth the gas money and time for him to drive.

BerryBeezy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pet smart is running the $1 per gallon sale right now. If started last friday. Today I stopped by and it was still going on. Its worth a phone call at least. Goes up to 40 gallons

Kellye8498

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try free cycle. I got my 75 gallon on free cycle. Means all I had to pay was the gas to go pick up the tank and bring it home. When I posted a wanted add I got a TON of replies from people with huge tanks who just wanted to give them to me so they could get them out of their house.

OP
raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kellye8498 said:
Try free cycle. I got my 75 gallon on free cycle. Means all I had to pay was the gas to go pick up the tank and bring it home. When I posted a wanted add I got a TON of replies from people with huge tanks who just wanted to give them to me so they could get them out of their house.

thanks, I just signed up for freecycle

Fishy Friends

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Both of my 55gals were from craigslist. The one was $100.00 & came with a Fluval 304 canister, a stand, 2 lights (one worked), a 6in turtle (we rehomed) & a 12inch pleco (he lived happily w/us for another year till he passed). Tank about half full when we arrived to look at it & there was a moving truck in the drive-way & movers were packing it! It was about the filthiest thing I had ever seen but the price was right. I guess they would have left it if we hadn't purchased it.
Got it home, hosed it out, washed it in the driveway with warm water & a paste made of water & baking soda. Filled it with water in the garage - 1 week - no leaks. Not so lucky with canister. Cleaned if...yucky...only to find the motor seized up Tank still set-up 2 years later).
THe second 55 gal tank & stand my husband picked up. I believe it was $125.00. Cleaned (not too dirty) filled with water & a week later it was good to go. The stand was beyond trying to repair so we purchased one at Petco - very reasonable & bought filter, glass canopy & lights. Still set-up - will be given to our friends when 180 gal cycled.
Other friends purchased a used 125 gal complete saltwater system for 450.00 - after getting it set-up & full of fish - discovered it was so badly scratched it makes the tank dull to look at. It will eventually be replaced.
We debated on the 180 gal new or used - even though the 55's worked out - decided to go new. Tank & stand, etc. my Christmas 2013☺
It is a gamble - good luck whatever you choose - can't wait to see it

krazyone2006

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The most I would pay for a used 55-60g tank off craigslist is $20-$25 tops. Who knows if they kept fish or reptiles in it. If it was reptiles the seals will need replaced in case they absorbed reptile urine which is very high in ammonia which you wouldn't want chancing leaching into your newly setup tank. With a canopy and stand $50 tops its used.

Also check Petsmart my buddy just picked up a new 60 gallontall tank with stand, Light and glass tops for $299 a nice combo deal. Depending on your area it might be cheaper to just buy new.

and I wish that tank was 42 feet long like it says in the ad I would so grab that up for $100. ROFLMAO But that is a pretty good deal for $100 being that its a acrylic tank and looks like it might have a built in overflow system for saltwater. I would snatch it up.

AbsolutTalent

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I see that and I see red-flags.
But its more because I'm scared of what could still be lingering. It was stored in the garage with all the gravel and stuff inside. If it still had liquid in it, who knows what kind of mold or stuff could be hidden. I just wouldnt be looking forward to the cleaning of it.

$100 for tank and stand and accessories seems alright, but the savings could be because it will be a major PITA to clean and make ready for your use.

krazyone2006

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Acrylic actually isn't hard to clean and is better than glass actually(unless it's scratched up). No seams to absorb urine ect. into and a lot lighter and they don't leak unless it was dropped and cracked which you would see right off the bat. I would grab it and clean it with viniger really good and then just fill it and let it sit with dechlorinator and water for a few days then it should be good to go.

thefishnoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just don't understand how people expect to sell their 10G with filter, hood, ect for $150. What....

New Threads