What is a good way to treat fungus (or whatever this is) on a corydora in a planted tank?

mang0

so i have one bronze corydora that seems to be suffering from a fungus or some kind of white spot. there are two white spots on the side of his head. i posted about it before and some said it was likely a physical injury, so i kept an eye on it but it has now been around a week and he still has the white spots. a user said it could be a scar but i'm not totally sure and would like to err on the side of caution. they have only slightly increased in size (if anything), and none of the other fish in the tank (2 other corydoras and 3 male endlers) have the spots. the corydora is not rubbing against anything or trying to remove it, he's acting normal, eating, etc.

i dosed some pimafix for a couple days but no changes occurred, then i had to go away for the weekend (could not cancel this trip), and came back today and it looks about the same, it has looked about the same for a week like i said. so i'm not sure if i should start pimafix again or not.

so my question is what do i do to cure him? i have heard good things about paraguard by seachem but i'm unsure if it will harm my plants or if it's okay for corydoras. i also have heard to do a water change every day to keep the water quality good so i just started that today, doing a 20% daily water change for however long i need to, unless someone thinks i should do otherwise. or maybe it is just a scar, but i would love some second opinions.

this is what the fish looked like a week ago, and the photo below is what he looks like today.
IMG_20200920_134520.jpg

DoubleDutch

I doubt it is fungus / a wound.

Looks like extra mucus cause of a reaction on something in the water (Aloe vera for instance)

mang0

DoubleDutch said:
I doubt it is fungus / a wound.

Looks like extra mucus cause of a reaction on something in the water (Aloe vera for instance)
thank you so much! i was so scared it was columnaris.
it's possible, i treat my water with API stressguard + which has aloe vera in it. what should i do?
edit: also, why don't my other fish have it?

DoubleDutch

mang0 said:
thank you so much! i was so scared it was columnaris.
it's possible, i treat my water with API stressguard + which has aloe vera in it. what should i do?
edit: also, why don't my other fish have it?
Still could be that but I know from the UK-forum Corys can react sensitive to Aloe Vera. Try a conditioner and see what happens. It not getting worse rules Columnaris a bit out for me.

mang0

DoubleDutch said:
Still could be that but I know from the UK-forum Corys can react sensitive to Aloe Vera. Try a conditioner and see what happens. It not getting worse rules Columnaris a bit out for me.
from what i know after doing some research on columnaris it spreads fast generally and looks fuzzier, tho i'm not totally confident it isn't. it seems to barely have grown like the pics show.

what confuses me is the fact that i've been using stressguard + from the very beginning of my tank and only now the spots show up. also none of the other fish have it, but maybe that corydora is just more sensitive?

and when you say conditioner, should i just condition the water with a different water conditioner like prime? that is the only other water conditioner i have on hand

DoubleDutch

mang0 said:
from what i know after doing some research on columnaris it spreads fast generally and looks fuzzier, tho i'm not totally confident it isn't. it seems to barely have grown like the pics show.

what confuses me is the fact that i've been using stressguard + from the very beginning of my tank and only now the spots show up. also none of the other fish have it, but maybe that corydora is just more sensitive?

and when you say conditioner, should i just condition the water with a different water conditioner like prime? that is the only other water conditioner i have on hand
Corydora+s appear to be more sensitive indeed. Yes use another We don't use conditioners overhere so not too familiar with the different brands / types.

mang0

DoubleDutch said:
Corydora+s appear to be more sensitive indeed. Yes use another We don't use conditioners overhere so not too familiar with the different brands / types.
got it, i'll start using the other one instead, thanks so much!
and what in particular should i look out for in case it is columnaris and i need to treat it?

DoubleDutch

mang0 said:
got it, i'll start using the other one instead, thanks so much!
and what in particular should i look out for in case it is columnaris and i need to treat it?
Keep a close eye on things. When things worsen next steps should be taken.

mang0

DoubleDutch said:
Keep a close eye on things. When things worsen next steps should be taken.
got it, just read over what the forum said about columnaris and it doesn't seem like it is that disease. also looked into slime coat diseases but he isn't scratching or anything so hopefully it is just a reaction. thanks again!

Top Bottom