What is a good stock list for a Biotope with glass catfish as centerpiece

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mikerox29, Aug 11, 2015.

1. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi all,

Can anyone help in regards to the tank size, set-up, plants etc that I could use to create a Biotope for the Glass Catfish? I do not know much about these fish or tank mates that are common to them in the wild. I would like to keep it just as a Asian Biotope please,

Thanks

2. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

Gouramis maybe?

Also barbs possibly. Don't know much about glass cats.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Here is the seriously fish page for glass cats. Might give you some information you can use to search for other species found in the same part of Thailand.

Quote from the article: "Small, peaceful species make the best tankmates with examples from Thailand including Trigonostigma heteromorpha, T. espei, Brevibora dorsiocellata, Acanthocobitis zonalternans, Lepidocephalichthys, Acanthopsoides and Pangio spp."

You can look up each of these species on Seriously Fish to see if they occur in the same type locality listed for the glass cats.

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What size tank? Glass catfish are best kept in groups, but they get around 4" each, so you need to make sure your tank is large enough to support a group!

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

That would depend on the species, from what I read the most common type is Kryptopterus vitreolus (correct me if I'm wrong) and they get 2.55 inches max, according to Seriously Fish. But their min tank size is a 30 gallon long.....

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Hmm, I had one as a kid (before I knew about their requirements!) and it was larger. The ones I saw recently at Petco were larger too, already around 3". Maybe they were Kryptopterus bicirrhis?

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

According to SF, they would need a 75 gallon tank.... but that seems way overkill to me since they aren't even very active. I'd say 55 for those.

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

mikerox29 - To summarize, look for the smaller species if you have a tank smaller than a 55 gal :)

9. junebugFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't go by SF tank sizes as the tank size Bible. They're useful for estimating, but it's a UK website and their fishkeeping style is much different than ours. Also the users who write the articles I think just tend to put down whatever footprint they happen to keep the species in... lol.

For determining tank size, look at overall fish size and activity level. Personally I'd feel comfy keeping glass cats in a 10-15 gallon tank, as they're not super active and have low bioloads. They are, however, sensitive to water quality flux, so that's something to consider and likely part of the reason for the large tank size listed on SF.

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, I've noticed that, lol....

11. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, some of the tank sizes are what I'd consider WAY too small, some are excessively large. Still it's an excellent source of information on most species. They really do their research and have excellent sources all cited at the bottom of each article.

12. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Yes the ones that are available to me are the smaller variety and I was thinking of putting them in a 55 gallon

I will also look at those species you listed thankyou heaps

So im getting the idea that my options are really just rasboras and Kuhli loaches? Does anyone else have any opinions? Perhaps without the biotope in mind? What would you guys do with a tank built around the glass cats?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  13. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Kuhlis would be pushing it in your tank footprint. I would look into rasboras that occur in the same streams as the glass cats.

If you don't want a biotope, the options expand almost limitlessly. Any suitable sized fish to your tank with similar water requirements as the glass cats would work.

14. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

What would be the problem with Kuhlis in a 55 gallon?

Thanks

15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A school of kuhli loaches would work for a 55 gal.

Lots of middle and top dwelling non-schooling or schooling fish! You could do angels, tetras, rasboras, gouramis, etc. Lots of choices!

16. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Sorry, I think I had my threads mixed up. Thought your tank was 10-20 gallons.

17. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Thats fine :) I think I am going to go with some angels and a large school of cardinal or neon tetras. Maybe even burmese rummynose if there requirements are similar

18. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Adult angels will probably eat neons and cardinals. Rummynose tetras would be a good choice as tankmates for angels. I'm pretty sure, though I could be mistaken, that Sabwa resplendens need cooler water.

19. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Neons need cooler temps than angels, they aren't compatible.

20. junebugFishlore LegendMember

That too. Though it won't matter once the angels eat them... lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice