What Is A Good Light For A Planted Tank? (besides A Kessil)

1. AquaDud Member Member

I am trying to find a good light for my 55 gallon tank to give me at least a medium type of light for my plants. I currently have a finnex stingray which is not enough for my plants.

Is the finnex planted plus any good?

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

High output CFL bulbs, youll need a reflector to focus the beams downwards. They dont save as much energy as LEDs but are very cheap and powerful.

3. AquaDud Member Member

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Depends on what plants you want to grow. Is your 55 gal the tipical one that is 21 inches deep? I have an 18 inch deep tank and I have been able to grow easy stuff like Wisteria, Jungle Val and Amazon Swords with just a strip of LEDs that gives me about 3000 lumens. I had trouble growing more light demanding stuff like Ludwigia Repens, the plant did not die but it grew very, very slowly when compared with another tank of mine that had appropiate light.
    Really the only way to measure light correctly is with a PAR sensor but no one wants to pay a bunch of money so we need to resort to lumens, and watts per gal guidelines which are a hit or miss. I personally resort to lumens. Do you know how many Lumens your Finex Stingray gave out? I couldnt find the info online, but it did say it could only grew lowlight plants. Also, what exact plants do you want to grow?

5. AquaDud Member Member

I would like to grow plants in general. lol the finnex stingray just isn't enough to grow low light plants like the amazon sword and the Anubias. I just want low to medium light plants to thrive. The tank is 21 inches btw.

6. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I just got a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 today and I really like it. It looks great and the fish seem to enjoy it.

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I would say you should be able to grow easy plants like Jungle Wal, Wisteria, Water sprite, Swords, etc... with the two T5 bulbs but Im not sure how far you could go with it.

8. fissh Well Known Member Member

I use Fluval 2.0 plant lights, they're mid range in price for a good plant light, but work very well. I don't use ferts.
    DSCN4475.JPG DSCN4466.JPG DSCN4476.JPG DSCN4477.JPG