What Is A "good" Kh Level?

BettyRocker13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For as many searches as I have done, I can't find a clear answer on what an "ideal" KH reading should be. Most of my searches led me to this forum and I still couldn't find a clear answer. Now that I've joined I can ask:

What is is a "good" KH level?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want to be very specific, aim for around 6. A low for a normal community freshwater is aroundish 5 with an 8 being max. It's not a big thing to worry about though unless your doing a specific biotope or sometimes with breeding fish.

BettyRocker13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh ok. Thank you. That kind of explains why I was having so much trouble finding an answer. My KH is currently hovering around 2. How could I increase it without throwing anything else out of balance, or should I even bother?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 is a bit low considering softwater fish are recommended at a minimum of 3. I would add some crushed coral which will boost the Kh.

BettyRocker13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ive looked into the crushed coral and mostly found large bags of it. If I remember correctly it takes some time for it to start raising the KH, right? How do I incorporate it into the tank? On the floor? In the HOB filter? And how much do I really need to add?

BettyRocker13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Could I just put a handful of crushed coral into a bit of nylon stocking? I saw these bags that are advertised with the coral and they don't look like much more than nylon stockings...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom