What is a good HOB filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Linda4088, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Linda4088

Linda4088Valued MemberMember

I did a lot of research so I got this filter last year and it already died. It's not a common name and I threw the box away so I don't remember what it is. Anyway, I need to get a new hang on the back filter. Any suggestions? Cost is a concern. I have a 45 gallon tall freshwater Dirted tank with a lot of plants. I also have Blue Rams and Angel Fish. Thanks so much.

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Aquaclear 70 or a Penguin 350. Either would be fine for your tank and should last for many years.

3. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Aquaclear all the way, either an Aquaclear 70 or a 110 depending on space and flow requirements.

4. cabrerarm

cabrerarmValued MemberMember

I agree with the other 2 posts the Aquaclear 70 is an amazing filter I have one on my 46G bowfront and it works great. Another suggestion is the Fluval c3/c4. I run both an Aquaclear 70 and a C4 and they keep the tank spotless and the fish happy.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'd suggest an AquaClear 110 personally. I'm running the 70 one of my tanks, a 29 gallon. So I would as though you'd need the next level up for a 45g. The reason I like the AquaClears is the ability to customize filter media to your personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. f2002

f2002Valued MemberMember

There's a big jump in price between the Aquaclear 110 vs 70 ($75 vs $40 on Amazon). Is $75 the best price around for the Aquaclear 110?

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Uhh it's probably more economical to just spend a little more and get a canister filter in that case. eBay has the 110 for $79, buy it now. Bigalspets seems to have it for $68.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. DanB80TTS

I saw a post on here, somebody selling two AC110s, one for $15 bucks that needs a $4 seal replaced and another for $7 bucks that needs a motor, not sure how much a motor is though.

9. dirtmidget33

dirtmidget33New MemberMember

aquaclear 110 is a great filter run one on 65 galllon. Turn over of water is great has high flow rates. you can easily add more biomedia and different filter media into the mix. The mechanical filter is huge along with charcoal and biomedia. Extra biomedia can be added if need be lot of room in bag they supply with it. Never seen a rise in ammonia when adding new fish or any rise in ammonia or nitrite since it was cycled. Even ran it with the heavy bioload of a turtle and fish on it.

10. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Linda4088Valued MemberMember

I don't know anything about canister filters except that you put them on the bottom of the tank and they sit there?

11. DanB80TTS

Canisters give you much better filtration and don't need cleaned as often as HOB filters as long as you have them set up correctly.
    You can hide them under the tank and they are pretty much silent in comparison to HOBs. Prices vary greatly depending on brand and size, Sunsun canisters are very low cost as canisters go and they do a great job, you could look at the sunsun hw302, that would be fine for that tank size, but for extra GPH you might want To look into the 304 I belive is the next one up, that one is also available with or without a built in UV sterilizer.

I bought my 302 from this seller on Amazon, just be aware although it says it includes the blue coarse pads, it does not, everything else is included though, the coarse pads you can find for about 5 bucks for a 2 pack.

12. Reyes

ReyesValued MemberMember

I would go for the higher AQ. I have a AQ 50 running on my 26g and I regret not buying the 70.