What is a good brand/type of filter for new tank setup? 40 Gallon Tank

1. 1hawaii50 Member Member

I have a new 38 gallon tank that I got for Christmas that I want to set up for a freshwater tank. I'm currently using a Penguin Bio-wheel on my daughter's 10 gallon tank, and I have a whisper on my other daughters 2.5 gallon tank. I'm wondering what would be the better filter type/brand for my new 38 gallon setup? I was kind of leaning towards the Penguin Bio-wheel for that also, but one of the guys at our local aquarium store said that they are nothing but hype? Any recommendations are appreciated.

2. Romad Initiate Member

I ditched my bio-wheels and went to AquaClear. Great filters and so easy to maintain. I have an AC 20 on my 5 gallon and an AC70 on my 45 gallon.

Check out the reviews and see if that works for you. Oh and another plus is - they're silent :)

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've tried many kinds of HOBs. I have about 12 Aquaclears and 3 emperors running and a big box of extra filters, including 3 penguins in that extras box. I would suggest an Emperor 400 or an AC70 for your tank. AC's are awesome and you can't gowrong with them. I much preffer emperors over penguins, hands down, for several reasons. Emperors are a little noisier than the Aquaclears, but both are fantastic filters.

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Again my vote is for a canister filter. Eheim 2217 or 2 x 2213's. Cost more but worth every penny IMO.

5. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Aquaclear is the best HOB and Eheim makes the best canister filter...jmho...:;dete

6. Alasse Well Known Member Member

I'd go with a canister. I have both Eheim and Fluval and both are excellent

7. David C Well Known Member Member

It comes down to how much money you wanna spend. Aquaclear if you're on a budget, canister if you got the extra cash.

Dave

8. 1hawaii50 Member Member

I picked up an Aquaclear tonight, but when I got home I realized that I was going to set me tank flush against the wall. If I do that, then the Aquaclear is not going to work. I'm afraid that if the tank is setting 4" off of the wall that one of my kids will pull it over. I've never used a canister filter. Do I just need the canister or are there other parts involved? I'm just not sure if I can swing the money for a canister setup, or not.

9. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Any canister filter you buy should come with all the hoses & fittings that you need to set it up. Sounds like a canister will work well in your situation if you can swing the money for one. I have my canisters beside my tanks instead of underneath or behind so that I can have my tanks all close to the wall for the exact same reason as you want yours in close. Kids. If you get a canister & the hoses are not long enough to reach right across the back of the tank, you can buy some clear drinking water hose & connectors from your local hardware store for under $5 so that you can extend the hoses to whatever length you want. Truth be told though a 38g aquarium weighs alot. Easily 250lbs. I know it's not logical to worry about the kids pushing over the tank because of the weight & it's more likely the kids will break the glass long before they push it over but it doesn't stop me worrying about it.