What is a dollar a gallon? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I've seen this mentioned quite a few times. I keep looking at all the small kits. I would like to keep some fancy guppies I've been looking at 3 gallons and 5 gallons but if I could get a better deal I would like a larger tank maybe 10. I don't mind picking up each item separately I think I would get better equipment , filter, heater etc. I have a Petsmart and a Petco nearby. Who has this sale how does it work and when do they have the sale how do they advertise thank you

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

I think Petco either is currently or just finished having this sale. Bare tanks (not kits, just the aquarium itself) between 10 and (I think) 125 gallons go on sale for $1 per gallon. A 10g, for instance, would be $10. Kits are not included in this.

Also, don't put guppies in 3 gallons. That's too small for like... anything.

3. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

PetsMart has some tanks and kits on sale also. You can look online to see their specials. As I remember some are around $2/gallon.

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

A dollar per gallon sale is when Petco offers the tank no hood or anything else for basically a dollar per gallon. you said you wanted a 10 gallon, so it would be 10 dollars + tax. sadly the sale ended the 12th of this month so you will have to wait until the next one if you want the tank at $10. if you go to the website at the top of the page you will see local add. you click on it and give it your zip code and select fish it will tell you if the sale is going on or not. hope this helps!

5. Andrew Sackett Member Member

A deal that big chain stores like Petco has where you can get a tank for a dollar a gallon so a 20 gallon cost 20 dollars but I think they sell you the tank no heater filter ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I just want to add that the largest tank you can purchase under the "dollar per gallon" sale criteria is a 55 gallon. I've tried for larger, but no go :(