What in my arsenal can I move along with my figure 8?

Fishfriendof315

Maybe this is what I should've posted to begin with and not the other. Everything in my aquarium details is in a 50 freshwater. My figure 8 is just about the age to move over to brackish conditions where I might be getting a second for mating. I've been doing the research on my arsenal and haven't had too much luck. My cory and pictus are definites for the brackish move. Which 3 more Cory's and couple more pics will be joining the mix. Labyrinth smooth skins are great in salinity. Plecos, maybe seeing they are everywhere? What are definites and no goes?

wishuponafish

None of them would prefer being in brackish over freshwater.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Corys are a definite no go on this. But I agree with above. Besides the puffers all of them would much prefer freshwater

Upvote 0

OiFisho

From my small amount of research I have read they belong in brackish water and it is very hard to keep them in freshwater. Again, small amounts of research. Archerfish might be a good choice for a tankmate, might be hard to find but will most likely work. Gobies would work too.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Agreed with above - catfish in general aren't a good choice for brackish tanks, since unless they've evolved a specialized osmoregulatory system (like the columbian "shark"), they can't filter out the salt in the water. Some species have, but corys definitely have not. Plecos may tolerate it, but they aren't a brackish species and will likely live a reduced life span. Same for the pictus cats.

The good news is that figure 8's are usually pretty relatively friendly and easy to mix with. In the past, I've mixed them with bumblebee gobies, knight gobies, mollies, and indian glassfish. Right now, I've got one in a 36 gallon with a trio of platies, and that's going well (so far). I'd considering going with guppies, but decided to go for platies because of the brighter color. Swordtails would have also been an option.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
N13
  • Question
Replies
Views
Zach72202
  • Question
Replies
Views