What I'm learning about fish tanks in small apartments

1. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

1) The gap you need to leave behind a tank to allow for a HOB filter can cause a tank to take up more room then you ever suspected.
    2) The same gap complained about in #1 can make for a sneaky storage spot
    3) After much debate I still believe that replacing the HOB for a canister/ sump or something that can tuck under the tank is the way to go.
    4) Extension Cords can be a wonderful way to put tanks where they need to go even if the electrition didn't think of it and put an outlet there.
    5) You'll quickly learn what your tolerance for the sound of running water is.
    6) Organization is key, start with labeling which cord goes with what thing.

More likely to follow soon..

2. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw Red, I hope it all goes much smoother from now on, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever need it!
    Please continue to vent here if you need to, this is also what we're here for!

3. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Hehe oh I'm sure I'll come up with more yet :p I've unpacked enough to be able to move with some ease around the place now, hopefully I'll be able to make the final video tour that I promised soon :p

4. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

The cord thing is a good point no matter what size house you have. I hate going through trying to figure out which cord I need to unplug without unplugging everything.
    So I am assuming #1 is more important to fix than #2 had benefits...

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I hear you on the cord confusion! One thing that's really helped me is to use a label maker. You can just tape it around the cord so that you can read the words and it's so much easier, lol. The downside is that the label cartridges are really expensive! Good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Lol I've got two HOB filters and it's a problem with both tanks. The 56 is the only one with the sneaky storage but I'm pretty sure that I could find another spot for the card table so the benefits of the canister outweigh the benefits of the hiding spot. :p That being said I spent a large part of last night looking at the stand and contemplating what modifications I would need to do to it to fit a sump in it instead :p

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It definitely helps to have a system for cords. i have the filters and heaters on power strips and the lights are seperate, so i can just flip the switch while leaving the lights on.

8. OP
    OP
    Red1313

My set ups always end up looking like something out of an electritions nightmare :p

9. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

My 75 had a HOB that wasn't enough for chiclids so I added a Cascade 1000. It is BIG!!! It doesn't fit in my furniture like stand and has to sit on the floor next to it. And the original bio-wheel filter is still on the tank... so I get tank away from the wall AND stuff next to the tank. :;fru
    But I love the canister filter. It is quiet, has a spray bar, and has cleaned up the tank well. And if I ever decide to switch to a planted tank I can just take off the HOB.
    With goldfish I am guessing you are going to need a BIG canister filter as well. ;D

Is the running water sound from the HOB or just amplified from the closeness of the space?

10. OP
    OP
    Red1313

The sound has always come from the HOB (water return) but the smaller space probably amplifies it as well. I'm one of the few fish keepers I know of who can't stand the sound of falling water. It grates on my nerves lol :p

I'm also running a Fluvel 203 canister on it right now just to hold the cycle until I get my 32 gallon tank repaired. I don't really like HOB filters but they're just so darn cheap!