What Illness Does My Betta Have?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Savannahlovvee, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Savannahlovvee

SavannahlovveeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    F4E821DE-CE30-4967-8BFC-E6902727FE46.65F00065-4D80-4DDF-B096-35AB3599FB21.CD911B75-7858-4C74-98BA-82CF946519DE. shes been very lethargic staying at the top of the tank, breathing heavy, loosing color, and hasn’t ate at all for over a week, and now I’ve noticed something shiny looking on her fin. Her fins were clamped so I moved her from a 1 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank with real plants, a heater, and the whole 9 yards. Put a fungus remover medicine in it 3 days ago and some bettafix all natural tea tree stuff. Today I noticed her fins are getting better but her scales are protruding now... help please! I’ve included a picture of the day I got her, a picture from the day I gave her the treatment, and a picture from today, thanks in advance!

A better picture of her tail, she’s constantly sitting like this not straight and even swims like that here and there..

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,125
    Experience:
    4 years
    Her scales are raised and that is a sign of dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom of an underlying cause, most commonly a bacterial infection. It affects kidneys and liver which causes her to retain fluids and the scales to raise among other symptoms such as the ones you listed.

Start treatment with Kanaplex which is the most effective medication because it's easily absorbed through the skin and gills. Epsom salt baths (1TBSP/Gallon for 10-15 minutes) in a separate contain can relieve some fluid retention.

I would like you to fill this template in so we have more information about her care: Fish Emergency Template

Medication should not be put in unless you know what's wrong. Bettafix is a controversial and debatable item to use as it's basically some diluted essential oil. I think it works as an antiseptic for wounds at best.

3. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +543
    Experience:
    2 years
    Is she ever able to straighten out? Or is her spine always curved? If so, TB might be a concern.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see pictures where she's straight. Above is an effective treatment for dropsy but it is a difficult thing to treat. I have used that treatment with success.

4. OP
    OP
    Savannahlovvee

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? I just put this one up 3 days ago I had one before for almost 2 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes but I don’t run it because it’s hard for her to swim in it
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) just the Betta 3 live plants, one take one, a cave, small rocks, a leaf hammock at the top.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? 75% once a week
    How much of the water do you change? 75%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime seachem
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Not sure what that means I’m new to all this fish stuff.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Not sure?
    What do you use to test the water? I don’t have anything to test it
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
    How much do you feed your fish? As much as she’ll eat
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? I was using bettamin when she was eating
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?since June 11th
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 2 1/2 weeks ago with the lethargic and color loss and progressed from there
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? I did in post
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Fungus guard by tetra
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not sure
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Her fin became clamped, it was always pretty short but not clamped, she lost color, and became lethargic and is now breathing heavy. She used to be energetic and be excited to be fed now she won’t even eat..

I put the information in a reply on this thread hope this helps! Thanks for helping out. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
  5. Repolie

Ratings:
    +2,125
    Experience:
    4 years
    There are several thing's I see concerning about her environment and I'm going to address them in order of the template. I see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle in your profile and suggest that you research more about it. Basically all tank inhabitants produce ammonia as waste which is toxic, but you have beneficial bacteria to convert it to nitrites then nitrates which are less toxic and can be removed with a simple water change.

This is why the filter should remain on because it houses the beneficial bacteria which keeps your fish from being poisoned to death. If the filter is too strong then you can make modifications to it. You can take a sponge filter intake cover, cut it to size, and tie it onto the output with rubber bands.

The water changes you're doing are kind of big. It can cause pH or temperature fluctuations which can be stressful. I suggest you stick to 50% or do smaller changes more frequently.

Testing the water is important as you need to make sure the water parameters are within safe levels. I and many others will suggest the API freshwater master test kit for the most accuracy when testing the water.

It's important to control the amount of food she eats because bettas are gluttons and overeating can lead to digestive issues. A good rule of thumb to follow is to feed as big as their eye which is approximately the size of their stomachs. I would also suggest you add more varieties of food to her diet to provide enrichment.

6. OP
    OP
    Savannahlovvee

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I going to order those ASAP I turned the filter on too. She’s definitely suffering I can tell her tail has lost half the size overnight and her scales aren’t getting any better almost wondering if I should humanly euthanize her.. I hate to do it but she’s been suffering for weeks and I just read clove oil will do it without pain or suffering. Opinions? She still won’t eat it’s been close to 2 weeks I want to say, I know they can’t go much longer without dying of starvation.

7. Repolie

Ratings:
    +2,125
    Experience:
    4 years
    If her health is deteriorating quickly then euthanasia may be the best option. Clove oil is the commonly recommended method of euthanasia. Treatment can be attempted, but may not be successful since it's been over 2 weeks before proper treatment has started.

8. OP
    OP
    Savannahlovvee

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh man ok :( thank you. When and if I euthanize her how do I go about cleaning the tank, filter, live plants, rocks, fake plants and so fourth? I don’t want my daughters next fish to have the same fate as this one it breaks my heart.. definitely going to do some research and do things differently.

9. Repolie

Ratings:
    +2,125
    Experience:
    4 years
    Fish get sick in the first place because there's usually something wrong with the environment which weakens their immune system. As long as corrective measures have been taken then the next fish should be fine. I would just replace the water completely and focus on improving things.

10. OP
    OP
    Savannahlovvee

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I read somewhere to bleach the tank and to bake the rocks. Is that not a good thing to do with fish stuff? I was a little concerned about the bleach part.

11. OP
    OP
    Savannahlovvee

Ratings:
    +0
    And I just ordered the api master test kit for freshwater it will be here Thursday!! ☺️ I will do this right next time!

12. Repolie

Ratings:
    +2,125
    Experience:
    4 years
    If you want to sanitize the tank as safety measures for the next fish, then you can. It's just there's usually a problem with their environment which affects their immune system to cause them to get sick.

A diluted bleach solution of 19 parts water to one part bleach for a few minutes is a safe and effective way to disinfect a tank when done correctly. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse and air dry all the stuff after to make sure the bleach breaks down into harmless products. You can set it back up normally afterwards, make sure you read about the nitrogen cycle.

Not sure about baking the rocks since they're fake.