What if? Question 

drfishguy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What if the amonina and nitrate go up after a water change with fish in tank? how can you correct that on the spot? askin all this so I can be prepared

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Using Prime as your water conditioner will help to detoxify the ammonia for 24 hours until your next water change.

What size tank are you planning on and what/how many fish?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Generally your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates should never go up after a water change. some reasons why they would:

1. Cleaning of the filter media in straight tap-water (un-conditioned), the chlorine and chloramines used in tap water kill the beneficial bacteria, causing your cycle to crash To Prevent only ever clean/rinse filter media in tank water syphoned from your tank. note, you should always treat any water going into the tank with a water conditioner that removes chlorine and cloramines.

2. There is ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in your water supply. To correct treat with Prime or amquel+, or use another source of water (if possible)

3. Deep gravel cleaning can stir up detritus that then enters the water column and 'pollutes' it. To prevent you only need to perform light surface vaccuum's of your gravel. There is no need to go deep into the gravel bed.

Hope this helps.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Indeed, as gremlin said: prime or amquel+

drfishguy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plenty of information, I'm just getting ahead of the game.

Gremlin, I'm getting a 90g tank this week and strat cycling for 2 weeks for my 2 baby Tiger oscars.

Yall very helpful bunch, thanks again dudes.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Top Bottom