What if anything can I put in the tank....

Shawnie
Wondering if there's anything I can put in the tank to keep the bottom clean..its my 75 gallon ....which is almost cycled so ive been looking for either snails or something?? will my oscars eat a snail? or maybe a pictus catfish will be ok? I just don't want anything to be hurt from the boys but at the same time id like a bottom feeder...thanks for any suggestions

angelfish220
well I would say a well armored catfish, like a rapheal or a something

Shawnie
hmm ill check them out...was just watching my pictus in another tank, hes too crazy for the oscar tank ..he would drive them nuts LOL TY angelfish

voiceless_kat
My Clown Pleco does a fine job of tank cleaning. You could probably have a pleco catfish that is a little larger than a clown pleco ( he only gets about 3 inches). I just read that a shovelnose catfish would be good with Oscars also.

As an aside, I didn't "get" what everyone thought was so cool about pleco catfish............geez, now I have one, and he is a star in my tank. They are so neat!!

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Val

Shawnie
ty so much val...I just don't want anything as a meal for the oscars...they certainly aren't picky eaters...going to check them all out now

Shawnie
well reading on the shovelnose, which I mite add is awesome looking!, I think hes too big for my tank...but maybe when I reach the savings of my new one he will be perfect! still hunting tho

susitna-flower
I have a raphael cat in my 125 gallon tank, and I agree, they would probably do ok, but more of a clean up crew for food. They aren't algae eaters. They do however hide ALL day, only come out at night, so you will never see them, then again neither will the Oscars! They will need a cave, but it does help keep the floor clean.

Shawnie
I have a raphael cat in my 125 gallon tank, and I agree, they would probably do ok, but more of a clean up crew for food. They aren't algae eaters. They do however hide ALL day, only come out at night, so you will never see them, then again neither will the Oscars! They will need a cave, but it does help keep the floor clean.

hmmm ya those seem to be a hit...how bout any kind of snails?? think the boys will try to eat one?

MissMTS
I just set up an 80 gallon tank with an oscar and I just got a pleco to go in there with him. I am not sure what kind he is, but he has been doing a great job as a clean up crew! I just looked for my receipt so that I could tell you what kind he is, and I couldn't find it, but I'll let you know if I do. He does stay hidden most of the day, but the other fish seem to leave him alone, so that's good.

Shawnie
I just set up an 80 gallon tank with an oscar and I just got a pleco to go in there with him. I am not sure what kind he is, but he has been doing a great job as a clean up crew! I just looked for my receipt so that I could tell you what kind he is, and I couldn't find it, but I'll let you know if I do. He does stay hidden most of the day, but the other fish seem to leave him alone, so that's good.

would be awesome to know what he is...and was he same size as the oscars when you added him?? my boys are big 'uns and again, I don't want a meal for them lol

angelfish220

I don't get this! mine is out all the time, not really eating algae but picking all the spare scrapes of food out of the gravel, and he eats snail eggs which is a plus but I don't think he is supposed to do that eather.....

COBettaCouple
Yea, I think a Raphael Cat sounds like your best bet.. maybe a good sized one if you can find him.

Shawnie
Yea, I think a Raphael Cat sounds like your best bet.. maybe a good sized one if you can find him.

TY~ so a no go on snails?

COBettaCouple
I'm not sure if any snails would have a chance with the Oscars.. even full-sized apple snails.

Shawnie
okies thanks a bunch..that's all I wanted to hear...ill be lookin for a big raphael ...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zahc
Replies
Views
fishguy122
Replies
Views
BarbaraLocke
Replies
Views