What (if anything) can I add to a 20G with 5 platties?

H20girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I have a 20G tank that's about 3 weeks old and appears to be done cycling, so I'm wondering if I might be able to add more fish soon? I would wait until I'm positive the tank is cycled. Right now the tank has 5 platties and 6-10 platy fry (2.5 weeks old). If the babies make it past the point where they can be eaten, we will probably try to rehome them (via Craigslist or give them to a petstore). We'd like to add something else to the tank that's a different color, as right now they all look the same.

Anyways, do you think with the fry we already have too many fish? Or can we add something else? I wanted some pygmy cories, but I understand the gravel substrate could harm them. I like rams, but believe the ph (7.8) is too high for them.

We're actually thinking that maybe something that could keep the fry population down might be a good way to go.

All I can think of are tetra... Any other ideas? I don't really want guppies or zebra danios because I had them as a child.

Here's a picture of the tank:

My fish look like this (image from petsolutions.com)

Thanks!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could do a school of cories for the bottom. I understand that they may prefer sand, but mine were fine in gravel.

Congrats on the cycle. TSS is pretty good. Don't add too fast, or you'll spin it into a mini-cycle. I would wait for 2 weeks to make sure the bacteria colony has a change to get a good foothold.

H20girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Meenu - Do you have larger gravel like I do? I'd really like them if they wouldn't get hurt. Would 6 of the dwarf kind be ok?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the regular gravel that they have at PetSmart. Yours looks like it might be a little bigger than mine, but not too much.

I don't know very much about the pygmies, except that you really have to keep them in larger schools, or they can die. I just don't know how large a school is big enough. My inclination would be to go with pandas.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
congrats on the cycle!! I remember feeling so very excited when I FINALLY got to that point...almost like a huge burden lifted....Your gravel is fine for cories....they will have a blast getting any leftovers out of the rocks.....

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
I have corys in my tank that is part sand/part flourite gravel. And, they are all over the place. Although, I must admit, that they seem to enjoy pushing the sand around. They are always actively searching for food.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree cories would be great, if youre still looking for a fish to control the fry population, I think a dwarf gourami could work out pretty well. Mine is a little bit aggressive at times, but he hunts down the fry like crazy, this morning he was deep inside some water sprite chasing out the fry!

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your aquarium is so gorgeous! I love the decorations especially that rock formation thing. I love cories and they are really active and fun to watch, but they won't really help keep the fry population down since they are bottom feeders. A DG would be good though or maybe even some cherry barbs, they get around 2in, aren't nippy like barbs are known for, would add a pop of color since the males are a bright red, and they are really fun to watch.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
id be worried about a dg in a 10g tank with 5 platies..mine are too territorial but maybe others works ok...just have a back up tank if your dg doesnt play nice...cherrys sound fun too!

EDIT: oops LOL thought it said 10g ignore my advice

Butters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
get a school of 6 cherry barbs. 2 males and 4 females. They are probably one of my most favorite fish that I have ever kept and I'm hoping to get some more soon.

H20girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I rehomed my 2 male platies and kept the 3 females and a couple babies. Last week I got 3 little false julli cory...they are so cute, I love them! They seem to really like all the caves in the rock formation. So far they are getting along well with the platies. Hopefuly I can get a couple more cories once the tank is more established.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom