What I learned from fish-keeping this year...

1. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

• Don't skip regular maintenance, the algae will get you for it. Gravel Vac, don't just top up evaporation.
    • Don't try to stretch a python. The end will pop off and you'll be left racing through the house with it spraying water as you run to turn the tap off in the kitchen.
    • There's no such thing as too many towels.
    • If you want to re-arrange your apartment and you own more tanks then furniture... it's a really long process.
    • Always keep extra timers on hand, eventually you'll change something around and suddenly have a planted tank (or two) and no timer for it.
    • Air driven filters are a beautiful thing, only one outlet and you can run multiple tanks.
    • It's really hard to find compact florescent bulbs in tube shape, stock up.
    • When doing a DIY project there are two things to remember, if there's a spot it can leak it will, and 1/2" hose clamps won't fit the half inch tubing once it's stretched over the valve.
    • Dehumidifiers, a good investment for those with MTS in an apartment.
    • Keep a hair dryer on hand, to un-freeze the windows that are now frozen shut due to the humidity in the before mentioned apartment.
    • Tear down one tank at a time.
    • The most time consuming part of moving a tank, is catching the cory's. (Note this is especially true of a tank with lots of tannis, a lapse in gravel vacs, and bronze cories.)
    • QT tanks are beautiful, rubbermaid works really well, but make sure they're lit enough to be easy to check.
    • Evaporation is a mysterious phenomona, where one tank will lose massive amounts, while another may never show any sign that it occurs.
    • Filters die.
    • There are no warning signs for MTS.
    • Fish tanks and wall to wall carpeting is a bad combination.
    • So is trying to move tanks in the dark.

• Fishlore is amazing, and here at least people will actually understand the above list.

2. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

SO true....been through many of those myself this year :)

3. haedra

haedra Well Known Member Member

I'm really sorry but this mental image made me giggle!

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Great thread Red!
    I'll add something I learned.

After the 3rd tank you're significant other will throw up their hands and not notice the tank #4, 5, 6.........

5. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

ahh... flooded rooms.... i know them well.

6. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Are we free to add to this list? :)

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Great Thread!

1. I learned that Fishlorians make the BEST friends and can get you through some of the most difficult times in Life:;hug2

2. Fish tanks are like potato chips: You can't have just one.

8. haedra

I learned that fish have better eyesight than I thought.. and they KNOW when I am preparing to thaw their bloodworms on special treat day!

9. steed1172

... can't hide nuffin from them can you?

10. haedra

Nope. ;) They go completely wacko when I grab my little container and start sucking out tank water with my turkey baster, lol.

11. steed1172

lol you suck out water with turkey baster... i squirt it in(with foods) with turkey baster.

12. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I do both, you got something wrong with it? Jk

I learned that 3 guppies and 4 months = alot of guppies
    Bettas will turn on their friends
    You friends will look at you weird if you bring tfh to school to read for fun

13. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

I learned that being here makes me want more and more tanks :)

MTS lol

14. steed1172

i learnt that fish are hazardous to your wallet :eek:

and if you get around that, you learn to use money wisely ;)

15. Omgami

Omgami Valued Member Member

This is good news! I have two tanks up and one in the wings so after that its a go,go, go.

Red, I love your list and can relate to most of your items.

16. Omgami

Omgami Valued Member Member

Oh yes, testing tank water with an 8 yr old grandson is like a mad scientist project.

17. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

What an awesome list. I have learned that fish are not the boring hobby some people think they are!!!!

18. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I learned that glass hoods are a VERY good investment when you own Oscars...because an Oscar on the carpet is NOT fun. ;)

19. B

Borisbbadd Guest

20. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

I learned no tank is big enought......lol....jmho :;dete