What HOB filter is best for 75-100 gallons.

bettabo1

Valued Member
Reaction score

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How is the 75 gallon going to be stocked ?

I've got 5 Aquaclears. They work very well for me.

The AC110 has a ton of flow and a very large media basket.

The only other HOB I would suggest is the Tidal 110. The Ken's Fish site has them on sale for $62, which is the least expensive you will find them. I buy a lot if stuff from Ken's, great site!

For a 75 gallon, I'd suggest at least 2 HOB's.

If you're on a budget, I'd go with 1x Tidal 110 (or AC110 ) + 1x Penguin 350

The Peguin 350's can be found for $30 online. Throw some sponges in their reservoir in lieu of the cartridges and you'll be good.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ken has shipping cost but amazon free.l..Ac cost about close to tidal but Ac 110 has more flow rate than tidal 110 ...500/450 but Tidal is more reliable....and easier operate ..I bet if we hook this 110 to 45 gallon tank..It will blow up with 2x flow...

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Islandvic got it right and ever put them in order:). Tidal 110 a new hob on the market with a huge bio basket. The aquaclear 110 tried and true been selling them for 30yrs. The marineland bio-wheel 350 best bargain filter. Does a great job for just $30. I too would use 2 filters. For a second filter I use the odyssea 250. It’s about $20 on eBay. It’s a powerhead with 2 sponges.

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinh said:
Ken has shipping cost but amazon free.l..Ac cost about close to tidal but Ac 110 has more flow rate than tidal 110 ...500/450 but Tidal is more reliable....and easier operate ..I bet if we hook this 110 to 45 gallon tank..It will blow up with 2x flow...
Check again. Ken's has free shipping on $50+ orders. I recently ordered a Tidal 110 from him. It does take longer than Amazon, though.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I might suggest a Seachem Tidal filters for just some of the following advantages:

The Seachem Tidal filters have these advantages over all other HOB filters.
  • A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.
  • Draws water from three locations, top (skimmer), middle and bottom for better water filtering, not just the bottom.
  • Another knob to totally shut off the bottom intake if you only want to filter the middle and top of your tank only.
  • If the mechanical media at the lower portion of the media basket ever gets clogged it has a slightly higher bypass in the basket so the water will still be filtered through your media and continues to run efficiently.
  • Media basket locks in place so it will never rise up pushing the media cage up possibly causing an overflow and flooding your floor.
  • Removable no spill media basket comes out for easy just cleaning using the lid as a no spill carrying tray. No need to turn the filter off either just remove the basket.
  • Self priming w/submerged under water pump so it’s quiet and you never have to worry about it not starting or recovering from maintenance or a power failure, especially if you are not home.
  • Includes the best media, Seachem Matrix, that can harbor anaerobic bacteria needed to reduce Nitrates.
  • Self cleaning impeller. From Seachem Support: The self cleaning feature of the Tidal Filters can be explained by the structure and build of the impeller housing. There is a groove in the Tidal 55 that goes through the slot where the impeller stays and it will continuously clean the impeller of any debris or buildup. For Tidal 75 and 110, where the impeller goes that continuously flushes a little bit of water through the back to keep it cool and quite clean. The 75 and 110 have the same mechanism.
For my 75 gallon tank I have a Sunsun canister 303B at 370 gph and a Tidal 75 at 350 gph. You want about 600-750 gph for your 75 gallon tank for best efficiently.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The people keep complain about noise ,so much water flashing, fish food suck up and expense operation with many filter replace for both aqua clear and tidal.... should we have some good flow ,less spend while operate it but quiet filter for the bed room....

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A canister filter is probably quieter than an HOB, as long as you have the output below the waterline.

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cichlidude said:
The Seachem Tidal filters have these advantages over all other HOB filters.
  • A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.
I just ordered a Tidal75 to replace a Marineland 350. Question; if and when you reduce the flow rate (say to 50% for eg), does that result in a corresponding GPH reduction of 50%? Just a little confused about that... thanks

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Uhh... yes.

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is what I figured.. but what advantage then is there to doing so? Do we not want maximum GPH flow?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Splaker said:
This is what I figured.. but what advantage then is there to doing so? Do we not want maximum GPH flow?
Actually no. You want the water to be in contact with your media as long as possible to promote better bacteria growth. Having it blast through your filter not hitting your media until maybe the 5-6th time through is tough. I have both my Tidals turned to the lowest setting.

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thanks for the info...I'm just learning all about this as I got back into aquariums after a very long hiatus...

So should we not be concerned then about achieving the 4xs the GPH turnover rule (i think it's 4xs)?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The general rule of thumb is your fish tank should turn over your water volume at least 4x per hour for best efficiency. All manufactures rate their pumps at the head level only. This means their ratings do not include head pump lift (canisters typically 3-4 feet: 7-13% head loss alone), filter media baskets, filter media itself, tubing length, U bends from the input tube and output tubes or even the 90 degree bend for your spray bar. All this alone will reduce the flow by at least 25% right out of the box.

Now add all your media which is jam packed with course, medium, fine pads, bio ceramic rings, porous large surface area media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Media and now it gets dirty and clogged in weeks. This adds another 25% reduction. So now you have a 50-60% restriction in water flow. Which now leaves you at 2x your flow rate and you need 4x to run correctly. This is why you should get a filter with at least 8x-10x flow rate (manufactures specification) because of this 50-60% reduction will bring you to the 4x recommended flow. Canister filters hold more media than a HOB, so they can have a little less flow if you want (5x-6x) but 8x will cover both types of filters. Always best to have slower water flow over your media than more, so the water stays in contact with the media longer to promote maximum bacteria growth/filtration and still keeps good water movement in your tank. This is for normally stocked to heavily stocked tanks.

Tanks with less fish or lightly stocked will do just fine with a smaller filter than mentioned above.

With that said…

Your 75 gallon tank would be best at 600-750 gph. Sorry your 50 gallon tank that would be 400-500 gph.

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's actually a 65 gal... anyhow, I guess I could supplement my filtrations with a sump pump? I order the Tidal 75 and it will be coming in a day or so. I guess I could cancel and get the 110... or just get the sump or similar...

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Splaker said:
It's actually a 65 gal... anyhow, I guess I could supplement my filtrations with a sump pump? I order the Tidal 75 and it will be coming in a day or so. I guess I could cancel and get the 110... or just get the sump or similar...
Well on my 75 gallon I have a Sunsun 303B at 370 gph and a Tidal 75 at 350 gph.

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll look into the SunSun... I've only come across the name in the odd search... thanks... I guess that's my option - get a second filter. I am reluctant to go with 110 because it's bigger and my tank is fairly close to the wall and I am worried about space...

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Splaker said:
I'll look into the SunSun... I've only come across the name in the odd search... thanks... I guess that's my option - get a second filter. I am reluctant to go with 110 because it's bigger and my tank is fairly close to the wall and I am worried about space...
You could run 2 Tidal 75's. You need less than 5" for the Tidal 75's in back.

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cichlidude said:
You could run 2 Tidal 75's.
True.. would that be a minimum? I am coming across info on the sponge filter as a possible secondary filter.. very cheap, too... something like this:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom