What Hinges for Aquarium Stand Overlay Doors

EverAquarium

Not sure if this is the right area to post this so please feel free to move it or advise me where to repost.

I am currently working on the build plans for an aquarium cabinet. Because of the weight the cabinet needs to support I am using 2x4s in the corners instead of your typical cabinet framing lumber.

I want the doors to be overlays so I am having trouble figuring out which hinges would work best to hide as much of the 2x4 corner braces. The corners have 2 2x4s to make a 90 degree in each corner that is flush with the top and bottom framing shown here: https://www.cflas.org/wp-content/uploads/standface.jpg

For my kitchen cabinets I am using this hinge on the doors: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-...-Soft-Close-Concealed-Cabinet-Hinge/999930582

Those provide a nice overlay and leaves a bit of the frame visible which is okay. But if I use these on the aquarium cabinet I will be left with a lot of visible 2x4 since it mounts to both the inside and face of the cabinet frame. I am thinking the hinge needs to mount only onto the surface of the 2x4 and then open with enough space for the door to be at at least a 90 degree angle from the frame without hitting it.

So far the best options I have been able to come up with:

Pivot Hinge from McMaster-Carr: McMaster-Carr |
This would work, but I would need to add an additional framing piece across the frame to give the hinge somewhere to attach to on the frame itself. Does not offer a soft close feature.

Barrel Hinge: SOSS 0.322 in. x 0.322 in. Solid Brass Barrel Hinge-BH085 - The Home Depot
This requires a lot of very accurate work when it comes to the drilling and placement that I am not 100% confident in doing...

Concealed Face Frame Hinge: Blum Compact 1-3/8 in. Overlay Face Frame Cabinet Hinge (2-Pack)-BP3336023180S - The Home Depot
I think this may be my best option if I am understanding how it works correctly. I could mount it to the face of the 2x4 and then attach the door giving myself the 2x4 coverage I am looking for while also having a nice and functional overlay door

Exposed Face Frame Hinge: Liberty White Self-Closing Overlay Cabinet Hinge (1-Pair)-H0103AC-W-O3 - The Home Depot
This would be kind of a last resort option for me as I would like to have the hinges completely hidden but I know something like this would work if I could not get the 2x4 coverage I am looking for using other hinges.

Please let me know if any other details about the stand would be beneficial in determining the proper hinge.

TIA

Kelvin12

To make it simple I would be going with stainless continious piano hinge. A small rebate down the back edge of the door will give you a full 180 degree door opening. I much prefer these myself for their ease of fitting up.

EverAquarium

To make it simple I would be going with stainless continious piano hinge. A small rebate down the back edge of the door will give you a full 180 degree door opening. I much prefer these myself for their ease of fitting up.
Thats what I have planned for the canopy Could also work here.

Kelvin12

Same here I use it on other cupboard doors and on my Aq hood as well. Always reliable and doesn't get out of adjustment if you lean on the doors.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
LadfromLondon
Replies
Views
LilHoodoo
Replies
Views