What heck is this ?

1. B

Bluegillfreak Valued Member Member

I had went on vacation for five days and when I came back my 30G was fine water looks good fish were fine. I walk over to my 10g and I see a complete mess thank god all of my fish are alive but I dont know what the heck happened or what could of caused it. The tank was covered in algea all the way around and inside on the plants and decorations and to the filter intake there was algea like green stringy everywhere. I pulled out my 6.5G set it up and moved the fish to it while I could break the 10g down and clean it well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Wow that seems like quite a bit in 5 days!
    Did you have someone feeding? Are your lights on a timer? Does your tank get sun alot?
    What about your filters - do they seem like they are running okay and not clogged?

3. OP
    OP
    B

No one was feeding figured 5 days would be ok to leave them without food. The 10G is on the same timer as the 30g so they both get the same amount of light. NO sunlight its almost dark in here if i dont have lights on lol. Filter seemed to be flowing fine.

4. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

What filter are you using for the 10 Gallon? I'd suggest checking in every spot in your filter to make sure it isn't clogged, no bugs are in the filter, etc.

Spring Mites/Fleas can cause the filter to malfunction in the process of "cleaning" your tank. These bugs can come around your fish tank if it's got any kind of water mass outside of the tank. They feed and live on moisture.

I had them at one time and the algae seemed to be at it's worst during the 4-5 weeks that I had them. Now that they're gone, no algae issue.

And, what kind of lights do you use for the 10 Gallon?

5. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Don't move your fish. They'll me fine, it's just algea. Take a clean, well rinsed wash cloth, wipe down the inside glass and them right away change the water, and suck up as much of it as you can. Reduce the light schedule, or cover the tank completely for a few days if that doesn't work.

6. OP
    OP
    B

I am using a aqueon 20 or 30 I don't remember which but I know it came with a 25G kit i bough a year ago. As far as light goes I am using 28W of 6700k light for I think 9 hours a day. I normally change water every Tuesday so I am not sure what happened this time to cause this when they normally go 7 days without issues and thats with me feeding them everyday.

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

How long has that 10g been up and running with plants?

You dose nutrients? CO2 supplementation?

Algae is caused by an imbalance with light, CO2 and nutrients.

8. OP
    OP
    B

The actual tank and gravel have only been running for about six months the filter and plants have been around over a year and got transferred around a couple times when I moved. I don't use CO2 or dose I have been wanting to start using some ferts but haven't been able to afford any right now. The tank had never done this before as I normally go 7 days between water changes and have no issues not sure what caused this.

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, no need to move the fish, they will be fine. There are excess nutrients in the water allowing the algae to grow. It kinda looks like hair algae which is a bit of a pain to be rid of, a compete blackout for 7 days usually does the trick, then a good cleaning and couple large water changes (In the case of the 10 I would probably just do a couple 100% changes and be done with it).

If you dont have inverts in the tank you could always dose with algefix by API, works great but will harm inverts. Then its just a mater of cleaning up the dead stuff.

There are other more natural choices that I have seen out there but I cant speak for more than the lable says.

The other thing you coudl always do is to just let it kind of be for now, reduce the lighting a bit and add a nerite snail, he will happily keep that tank clean and you wont ahve to worry about chemicals or alot of cleaning work. In a 10gal you could also add Japanese Ammano shrimp I would only add one and along with the nerite not a scrap of algae will survive in short order.

10. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Seems like a lot of light for a 10g. I'd cut that light time down a bit.

11. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

+1 psalm I have 6,500 k on my 10 and I only light for 5 hours and my plants are doing great.

12. OP
    OP
    B

What kind of plants do you have I have a plant that likes alot of light. This tank has never done this before I'm not sure what caused it this time.

13. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I had this exact issue when i upped the lighting on my 10. TONS of hair algae and slime. I lowered the photo period and to get rid of the algae, do a black out for 3 days or so, it kills it off real quick. A wipe down and gravel vac will help too.

14. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks everyone I think I found my problem my I have one of those push pin timers and when I checked it the other day instead of 9 hours of light it was almost 12 so I backed it off to 7.5 hours per day.

15. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

If you are handy or upto a little DIY. You could mount into a project box to prevent tabs from getting unintentionally changed. AS ALWAYS USE CAUTION.

Here is what I did.
    [​IMG]