What Heaters Do You Guys Use? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Fuzzyfishkeeper, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Fuzzyfishkeeper

Fuzzyfishkeeper Valued Member Member

I would like to purchase a heater and I've seen some good and bad reviews and i just want to know from the people who actually know somewhat on what their doing.

2. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

What size is the tank?

3. PonzLL

PonzLL Well Known Member Member

My 4 tanks have aqueon pro heaters. Those aren't necessarily the best out there, but I've never had a bad one and I like the look of them so I keep using them.

Generally I grab a heater that's good for double the size of the tank so that it doesn't have to work as hard, and can quickly heat cold water that I add.

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I also use the aqeuon pros, they’ve worked great for me and are very easy to use. They’re what I always suggest whenever someone asks about what heater to use. Simply an overal good heater.

5. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

Aqueon Pro

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

The new topfin heaters arent too bad if you feel cheap. Aqueon ones work nice. And if your rich and fancy or have no clue what you are doing in the hobby with your first iant tank ;). A fancy Ehiem heater.

7. Repolie

Repolie Well Known Member Member

I have the Tetra HT10 heaters in my 1.5 gallon quarantine/hospital tank and it in my 5.5 gallon tank. Works fine for me, nothing bad with them. They just drop ~2 when it's very cold. If you have a lot of money to drop, the Cobalt line of heaters got you.

Edit: Btw, don't get the Walmart Tetra Submersible Heater 2-15 gallons because I swear like those are fakes or super cheaply made ones for Walmart. They don't even have that heater on their website. They will work for a bit, flicker, then die. Buy a heater from a reputable place.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have used everything from the cheap big box brands to Marineland (never again), those from Germany and others. I have yet yet to find one that would hold temp and not make me have to reset it . I have two Eheim heaters (put them in last year) in the 150 No mater where I set them after a week they stay on. The 150 got up to 84 degrees. I unplugged them. I am willing to spend the money but I am getting very tired of getting ripped off with heaters. The Marineland heaters all failed. I had 5 several years ago. They all died in the same month. They were around 2 years old. Life time warranty sure, till you can not find the receipt.

So, If some one could point me to a quality heater that will actually hold its temp and last more then a year or two please let me know. Winter is coming and I need to get heaters for the 150.

9. Platylover

marine land heaters are honestly awful. Had one for a month or two then it began overheating the tank...

I've had some of my aqueon pros for over a year now and they all seem to be doing well keeping the temp where it's needed. If you haven't tried them id look into giving them a try and see how they do for you.

10. OP
    OP
    Fuzzyfishkeeper

wow thank you a lot sounds like im will be getting an aqueon pro for a 20 gallon tank so do you think 100 watts or more

11. Thunder_o_b

I have several of the standard Aqueon heaters and I will say that once I got them dialed in they have been stable. But the dialing in took a bit.

I will look into the pro line. On the 150 I would use two. Fail safe and all that :)

12. OP
    OP
    Fuzzyfishkeeper

what watts should i get for 20 gallons

13. Thunder_o_b

3-5 watts per gallon. So a 60 watt would be good

14. Platylover

100W would be the. good, but id go with a 150W personally.

15. imba

imba Valued Member Member

100w is good for a 20 gallon. I use Aqueal Easy Heater Professional as they are not glass and wont break! I broke a couple before dropping them so the Aquael is a lifesaver!

16. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Aqueon Pro.

Wattage depends on how cold the ambient room temp gets compared to the tank temp. I have a 150w on a 20g long and a 100w in another 20g long. The 100w is more than enough as long as you have enough circulation. The room can get 15°F lower than the tank temp. The 100w fits a 12" tall tank better than the 150w (mine's mounted diagonally).

I had 2 bad TopFin 100w heaters that formed condensation inside the glass.When I returned the 2nd heater, I asked for an Aqueon (standard) 100w heater and they agreed. I use that for my 10g QT and I have another in a 20g tall fry tank with no issues.

I also have a couple of Tetra HT10's for a 5.5g and to heat water in a bucket when hatching brine shrimp. Both work great but too small for a 20g and you really want an adjustable heater for a 20g.

17. Thunder_o_b

In my hunt for more information on heaters. Looks like I will be spending over $100.00 US for the 150. Not happy about that but I already spent $70.00 on the two that were in there. They almost turned that aquarium into a big pot of fish soup.

Still looking :(

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice