What Heater To Get

1. I

Ian6 Initiate Member

I am getting a 800 litre tank with a 200 litre sump so 1000 litres I was just wondering is it best to get 3x 300w heater or go for one big one also what heaters do other people have and their views on them would be much appreciated

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

It would be better to get three. I use aqua one heaters. They are really good.

3. sloughdog

sloughdog Member Member

Following this thread as I’m in the market for 2 new heaters for 2 tanks.
    Right now I’m leaning Cobalt or Finnex. This based on a review by Bulk Reef Tank Supply on YouTube.

Will you be placing the heaters in the sump or the aquarium? The Cobalt are very flat, low profile and fit easily in a sump.

@Discus-Tang did you mean Aqueon and not aqua one?

4. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I meant aqua one.

5. sloughdog

sloughdog Member Member

Thank you. Will look into that one too. Not familiar with it.

6. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

When you get into the 300 watt range, features start being added to the heaters. I went from dials and guessing what the heater thought the tank was at, but now 2 of my 3 heaters in my tank have digital readouts. I know exactly what the heaters think they are, and what they're set to. I've had good luck with the aquatops currently.

7. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

My oldest heater is an Aqueon and it is still kicking after 12 years. I have a variety of other heaters and the best one is the Eheim but it's very hard to turn the knob.

I bought a heater at Pet Supplies Plus on a whim. It's their house brand and it's made in Hong Kong or somewhere similar. Avoid their heaters. IMO this heater has the worst temperature regulation of anything I've ever owned.

One of the guys I follow on YouTube had bad experiences with a Cobalt heater and it cost him some very expensive fish. So I have avoided this brand and I'm looking for a Finnex to replace my crappy Hong Kong job.

Based on my experience I should go out and buy another Aqueon but unfortunately I think they have changed over the past Dozen Years and the new ones are not as good.

8. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Heater manufacturing is done in batches with bids from actual factories. A bad brand one year is the good brand the next year for heaters. If you do some digging you can find brands that came out of good factories and just double check manufacture dates. It's a little complex, but allows you to spend less and get a better heater in the long run.

That cobalt heater that killed his fish was a total freak accident, and he doesnt blame the company, even in the thick of his frustration and grief.

I also never unplug my heaters unless dropping the water too low. I figure a 300 watt shock when I touch the water is a good way to find out if I have an unknown blown heater. I have good surge protectors and gfci so it wont be a long enough pulse to do major damage

Dont get me wrong, cobalt is doing some strange and stupid things in the hobby currently imho, but in this instance you cant blame what happened entirely on the brand.

9. sloughdog

sloughdog Member Member

I just bought 2 aqueons a few days ago. One failed and the other is off by 6-8 degrees which was needed to treat a new fish for ich. The fish died partly due to not getting the temp high enough.
    Took the one back already and the other one is going back too.
    I read great reviews on them but now a bit discouraged.