What heater do you use for a 20 gallon tank?

gandy78

Hello,
What heater do you use for your 20-gallon tank? What should the temp be set to? I am on my 3rd heater. They either make the water too hot or too cold and my fish will die. What is the proper heat setting? Mine is staying at 79 degrees and set between 77-78. Is this safe? I have guppies, cherry barbs, cory cats, and Septra tetras in my tank. I had to put a new heater in a couple of days ago because my tank overheated and killed my fish. I am getting so upset over this. I don't understand why I can't get my tank set to 78 degrees.

kallililly1973

is it a 20 long or high? What watt heater are you using? what brand? is it adjustable? what inhabitants do you have in the tank and what is their preferred temp range?

peddidle

The wattage you’ll want will depend on the difference in temperature you’re trying to create between your room temp and water temp. My room temp drops to 65 at night during winter and my desired water temp is 77-78, so I use a Fluval E 200w. If my room temp was higher or my desired temp lower, I’d opt for a 150w.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
IzabelB
  • Philippians 4:13
  • Heater
Replies
Views
bopsalot
  • FishRescueStory
  • Heater