What Have You Learned From Keeping Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by oldsalt777, Apr 17, 2018.

1. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Fishlore...

Starting a new thread to mostly pick up tips about keeping Goldfish in an aquarium. I've been keeping them for a while and maybe I can pass some information on to someone else.

Old

2. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

I've learned to use Youtube and watch Jenny's channel Solid Gold Aquatics!

3. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Well this is pretty obvious, but...

DONT KEEP THEM IN A TINY GLASS BOWL!

I hope most people on this forum know this, but to those who don't they are like any other tropical fish. They need good quality, aerated water and consistent heat and a pretty decently sized tank to thrive in. Gold fish and bettas are probably the 2 most abused species of fish just because of the misconception that you can throw them in a small bowl and they will be small and happy forever.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

5. OP
    OP
    o

Hello Rain...

Yes. I've seen her videos. She's not just keeping Goldfish, though. She has some other interesting aquatic animals she's keeping. I wonder what she does to support such an extensive hobby.

Old

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Probably some donations as well as youtube revenue.

7. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

I could never have an aquarium big enough for my goldies. They have a pond. An ever expanding pond. Sarassa Comets. My Angel is 17” mouth to tail tip. Monti is even bigger. Love my babies!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  8. Dandelion-Dream

Dandelion-Dream Valued Member Member

I've learned that a pond is way better for a comet than a small tank. Learned the hard way.

9. Gypsy13

I’m so sorry. :(

10. Dandelion-Dream

Dandelion-Dream Valued Member Member

Yeah. They're in a 10 gallon tank currently. Lost one, but the other 2 are trudging on. I'm trying to get them a nice 300 gallon soon, but it keeps getting put off. I'm constantly stressed about them, and I blame myself for not researching more. S.I.P Sunbeam. You will be missed.

11. Gypsy13

I think this is a pic of my Angel.

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    o

Hello Dan...

I'm keeping some Goldfish in a 38 gallon tank and in the months I've had them, they're doing fine. Their growth is steady and like any fish, you have to give them a balanced diet and lots of large, weekly water changes. I remove and replace most of their water when I change it. Plants are important as a diet supplement, especially the floating kind. Duckweed seems to be a favorite.

Old

13. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Common sense goes a long way. I’ve heard people recommend unrealistic temperature ranges in order to keep goldfish, which could only be possible if you owned a chiller.

Goldfish can thrive in tropical tempts. If I recall, many goldfish are being farmed in Thailand, not to mention they’re invasive all over the world with vastly different temperature ranges and water parameters.

14. OP
    OP
    o

Hello scar...

Good point. Since Goldfish aren't tropical, there's no need to heat their water. We keep our house temperature at 68 degrees most of the time and that's a good temperature for a cool water fish like a Goldfish. These fish need to live in water with a high concentration of oxygen in the water. Cooler water holds oxygen better than warmer water, so adding an air stone is helpful. I use dual sponge filters in my Goldfish tank and these really help mix oxygen into the tank water.

Old

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice