What have I done????

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by pamelakt, Apr 5, 2010.

1. p

pamelakt Valued Member Member

Hi guys,

I just treated Hamish to some new plants from the garden centre.

So I started cleaning his tank as usual, I took out the 2 plants he had in there as they were knackered & needed replacing. This brought up a little dirt, but obviously I then cleaned his tank as normal, put his new plants in and turned his filter back on etc.

However, as soon as I took the old plants out he started to look seriously unhappy.
    I quickly did what I needed to do, got his new water in all the same as I always do. He is still looking pretty unhappy & isn't moving much.

I only cleaned half his water, so he wasn't moved or anything. His thermometre was on the entire time - there was I would say a 1 degree change in temperature due to my rushing to get the new water in. His plants are from the same place I always use, and they are the same as the ones he usually has nothing different.

Did I do the wrong thing in taking the old ones out at once like that, has it upset the oxygen levels or something??? I'll be devastated if I've killed him!
    I don't understand what I could have done other than dig up a bit of dirt by taking out the old plants?!

Help???

Oh also I use Stress Coat + as his water tonic...

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between.
    Thanks!
    ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
  2. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

do you have sand or have you stirred your substrate recently?

They best I can figure you might have released a gas pocket into the water that developed in your substrate .

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no!! im not a heavy planted member, but wondering if there were some gas pockets under where the plants were? kinda like if you dont stir up sand bed? hope other members have advice!! do a quick test of your water to make sure things are ok!

4. OP
    OP
    p

No I don't use sand he has regular stones?!? What can I do if I've made a gas pocket?!

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Pamelakt,

It sounds like he's just angry because you've disturbed his tank. By your text I don't see that you've done anything wrong. Sometimes they just need time to adapt again once changes have been made. Keep your eyes on your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. These fish just aren't a big fan of change. :)

Too, if you would be so kind as to complete your aquarium profile information it will be a great help to others. You can access the profile by clicking on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Information.

I'm sure you'll get some more responses.
    Best wishes.
    Ken

6. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

He is upset with you because you changed the enviroment, with new plants!!! Once he is sure you are suffering, he will come back and be normal!!!!

If you have 2" or less of gravel, etc. I strongly doubt that there are any gass pockets...don't worry

7. OP
    OP
    p

I mean when I clean him I use one of those sucky things so I'm always sticking that into the stones to suck the dirt out - so surely he's used to that being moved?!

Oh really?! I was so excited to have bought him his new plants aswell, and I managed to get him the top ones that have been a nightmare to find lately! Ungrateful so & so!! I will fill in my info sorry!!

I'm going to do another water test.... he is quite a grump so it probably does fit that I've annoyed him. Hopefully that's all his issue is!!

Ok his readings are completely normal, which I assume means no gas bubble. There is no way I have over 2" of stones anyway..

Nitrite 0
    Amonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    PH 7.6

When I came out my kitchen I caught him swimming, I swear to god he saw me then lodged himself between a plant again looking all upset & hard done by. He's got to be at it yes??

Either that or the slight change in water temp upset him, how much can he handle? It was literally 1 degree or so but only for a minute.

Honestly, you buy him nice things - I even got him his favourite plant which they've not had for ages you'd think he'd be happy!! haha

Oh and his temperature is sitting at 26.5 ish.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
  8. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hello!

I'm sure he is just upset because you changed around his home without asking. How dare you ;)

Tell him not to feel so bad...when I clean my divided 20G Long, Vanguard and Braniff get put back in their cups (gulp!) and Eos gets moved from compartment to compartment while I clean.

Give him a day or two to come around. Right now he's trying to figure out how to make you think it was HIS idea to have new plants put in there. Until he gets you to do that, he doesn't want you to know he enjoys them!

-Tony

9. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Lol, great advice from above. I bet your betta is thinking more along the lines "Why did the big on remove my pretty things for these less then pretty things....that smell funny..." He should be fine in a couple of days like everyone suggested. You said your nitrate levels were 0 is this a new tank? Nitrates should be around 10-20 on a cycled tank. Unless your using a product like Stress Zyme.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    p

No the tank is now over a year old - my Nitrates have always been at 0 for as long as I can remember. When I first got the tank I used AquaStart to start it up, would that be why?! Its always at 0 everytime I test it & he's always been fine?! Someone has mentioned that to me before but it just seems to be the way my tank is?!

He is eating funnily enough, I haven't ruined his appetite! But he's still lodging himself next to the plants & looking a bit sorry for himself. I hope I don't wake up in the morning to a disaster :(

11. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I'm sure he'll be fine. Just give him time to get readjusted to the tank. If I were you I would remove him from the tank for an hour then put him back. He might think its all new and might start acting better. Just a suggestion. And as for the Nitrate part..what kind of test kit are you using?

12. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

has the tank always been planted?

it might just be that the plants suck up the nitrates at the same or even faster rate that nitrates are being produced, making the tank appear uncylced even though it is.

13. OP
    OP
    p

I use the API test kit - (liquid). And yes he has always had live plants, I mean he has like 3 plants (not huge) just on one side of his tank so I wouldn't even say it was heavily planted. All of his water levels are always at 0 apart from the PH obviously, todays test is no different...

One of the plants had been in there a very long time, pretty much since I got him actually its really lasted - maybe he really hated the dirt?! I couldn't go any faster! I'm always nervous of him breathing in any dirt I'd love to change his stones because I hate them but I don't like to upset him... blimey if I did that he'd never speak to me again from the look of it! :)

I'll see how he is in the morning, hopefully he'll be over it! Thanks for all your help!!

14. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

True story: I have a friend whose betta had a plastic turtle decoration in his tank. This friend took out the turtle to replace it, and the betta just sunk to the bottom and sulked, acting as if he were dead. She put the turtle back in, and he hid in it for a few hours before acting normal again.

They're just like us, creatures of habit ;)

15. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw hooxeii, lol!

Your betta will be fine, they are so moody! I had one that sulked so bad, he only acted normal again when I got him his own tank. He was in a divided section, but decided he was faaaar too important to have other fish in sight!! Now he dances constantly and blows bubbles frequently

16. OP
    OP
    p

Haha I love those stories :) Hamish is very much alive & kicking today, altho he is still looking at me with disgust & is acting like a stroppy teenager. He's eating & has perked up a little, so I assume if he was ill he'd have been worse today...

Seems I just annoyed him! Fair enough! I've also been staying at my parents dogsitting for a couple of nights over the weekend I guess that may also have made him mad, he does like to watch a bit of tv in the evening!

Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated!

17. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Haha...I think we found the answer. You went on "vacay" and didn't take him with you!

As I like to say...this is so much bigger than a few new plants. LOL.

18. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

ehehe irritable fish!

I like to switch things up for my betta's tank, keep things interesting. I've never had a bad reaction, thankfully. He likes to swim around and check everything out, keeps him entertained.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice