What has been your biggest surprise (good or bad) in fish keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu4648

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For a lot of people I guess it could be finding fry in the tank. For me it was something similar, finding out that my Red Cherry Shrimp were still alive four months after first putting them in. I had assumed after a couple of days that the Tiger Barbs had gotten them but as it turns out they were just in hiding. After four months they must have decided it was safe enough to come out with the aquarium lights on. Although I am guessing that they were not just hiding considering that from the original five that went in I now have 50+ adults / sub-adults and countless shrimplets tearing about the place. Breed like rabbits, breed like shrimp more like.

Anyone else want to share their biggest fish keeping surprising moments?

Adam55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My biggest surprise? Hmm...that's hard. I've had tanks for over 20 years now, but I've been a dork forever. I read tons of books. I used to read books about aquariums before I even had one. It was harder then (our internet when I was a kid was called a library), but it was still easy to access information. Not a lot caught me by surprise. I guess my biggest surprise is that LFS employees don't always know what they're doing. Not all of them, but some of them.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As Adam mentioned, my biggest surprise before I got out of the hobby was contrasting information read versus advise received from certain pet store employees and how ill informed most pets store staff are with regard to aquariums and ornamental fish.

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When I was younger, I had a 5 gallon with 8 black neon tetras. I was very young and got bored of the fish and the only time I would watch them was when I did the weekly 25% water change.

I had that tank set up for 3 years after I set up the tank I had only four left. One of the tetras became very sick, it was unable to swim and it refused to eat. I kept it in a net trap for three weeks and dropped in some bloodworms or pellets or peas in for her everyday. She did not eat for three weeks and I was giving up hope.

I woke up on the first day of the third week to find her balancing on her fins upright instead of sitting on her side like normal. I dropped in some bloodworms and she ate the ones that fell near her. The next day she was swimming in small bursts. On the third day she was back to normal. During the time I spent researching all the things I could do to save her I learnt many things about the hobby. How and why to cycle a tank, that the tetras needed a bigger tank, etc.

A month later I set up a 40 gallon breeder and the tetras went in. Unfortunately the sick tetra who recovered became sick again with a bloating of some kind but recovered after some epsom salt baths. (Thanks Junebug!) two months later she got sick again and did not recover. She died at an age of 5 years old.

If it wasn't for that fish I would not have became interested in the aquarium hobby. Her sickness lead me to research more and more. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't have found this forum.

R.I.P Survivor.

Chris99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My biggest surprise is how it is basically impossible to find reliable information. Like Adam said the LFS employee may know next to nothing. On top of that though I've read conflicting ideas from so called experts. I've just learned to read as much as possible and in the end try and find some consensus or logical middle ground.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Fishguy11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My biggest surprise was about 8 months ago when I was breeding guppys, I was moving and just took a peek into the breeder.

To my surprise I saw 5-6 1-2 mm guppy fry in the tank

petaddiction

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with gup. I was thrown back that goldfish needed so much room yet almost nobody knew about it or puts them in adequate space.
Also I was thrown back at how complicated everything is when you look at it. A year ago I knew nothing about this hobby. In that short amount of time, I find it amazing how much I've learned.

Sent from my iPhone xx

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It was harder then (our internet when I was a kid was called a library).
Lol, it's like asking a kid what a pay phone is.

My biggest surprise was coming to a realization that I had MTS. It's an addicting hobby, and I need to get my fix.
Also on a more serious note, the thing that surprised me the most is the science behind fish keeping and how the water can be more work than the actual fish. That's also what I like the most about this hobby, it's part biology, part chemistry, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.6%

Top Bottom