What happens when aquarium plants reach the water level in height?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by mikerox29, Aug 13, 2015.

1. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi All,

What happens when aquarium plants reach the water level in height? Does it stop growing or start growing along the surface?

2. billerWell Known MemberMember

So stop,while others grow along the surface of the water, while some will grow out of the water.

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Water lily's tend to grow along the surface, while swords don't tend too grow to far up, and water onions will grow out of the water.

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  3. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Do you mean like when plants get really tall and reach the surface? Some plants just bend and keep growing

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Depends on the plant. Some stop growing. Some bend over to stay submerged. Others like Vals will keep growing and cover the top of the tank. Some if they can be grown emersed, will return to their emersed from.

The best thing to do is to keep them trimmed so they don't break the waters surface in most cases.

5. GenaWell Known MemberMember

Here's some val that never stopped growing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

OMG haha ! That grows awesome ! I am pretty sure what I have is annacharis

7. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

One advantage is with plants that break the surface, once they have, they are exposed to CO2 in the air which is a much higher amount than that of the water. It may actually give them a boost in growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Anacharis (Elodea) will put some shoots above the surface and can get flowers on them. Mostly they will bend over and continue growing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice