what happens to returned fish?

tat416

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I may be taking my five cherry barbs back to the original store they came from, but.i would like to know what will happen to them if they are returned.

Dondomingo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Generally if they are in good health , they'll most likely resale them. Depending on your fish store, some offer a 14 day return for credit, some offer partial credit, some places like the good fish store I visit, will take them back, but no credit. However I don't mind because , because their fish are 99.99% disease free unlike some stores so in a sense for my mistake I'm supporting their hard work to keep their fish clean and healthy.

aquatic1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You know i would take them if i could, but not a big enough tank, plus i just got NoName lol im cut off for awhile

jbokel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The LFS I get fish from will restock returned fish and resell them. Last fish i bought there were some that someone had brought back.

ALittlePieceOfHeaven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Think this varies with the fish condition. I have seen some goldfish be thrown into the feeder section when someone brought them in from their own stock. I think those that don't look as good are put down. I don't think chains like Petco and Petsmart take fish. I am sure there is exceptions.

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think chains like Petco and Petsmart take fish. I am sure there is exceptions.
You are correct. My local petco won't buy fish, but they will often accept healthy fish from people who can't or won't keep them. They try to keep these separated from their regular stock whenever possible, but still in display tanks. These fish are then 'adopted' back out. Over the weekend someone brought in 6 large beautiful cichlids and left them at my local petco while I was there on a sales call. The weekend before someone else dumped a horrible mishmash of community fish on the same store. They can't give credit for turn-ins, unless you are actually returning a fish according to store policy, but petco is pretty good about helping people rehome their pets - that goes for reptiles, rodents, and birds, too!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I may be taking my five cherry barbs back to the original store they came from, but.i would like to know what will happen to them if they are returned.
There's no one answer for this question. Depends on the store. Depends on why the fish are being returned. Depends on the employees working that day. Depends on the policy the store has.

Best way to find out is to just ask them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom