what happens to primed water after 24-48 hrs?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Technik, Jul 3, 2015.

1. TechnikValued MemberMember

I usually use seachems prime on a 5 gallon bucket of water and then use a bit as needed to top up the tank. Does prime fully detox the water and dechlorinate it or do I need to continue to prime the water on day 2/3/4?

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

Just once per new batch of water. Are you working on a cycle?

4. OP
    OP
    T

TechnikValued MemberMember

nope. I was just curious. Seachem states, "Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released. Of course, we are more concerned with ammonia and nitrites, rather than nitrates." I just wanted to know what happens after that point.

5. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Hello, the result depends on your water sources parameters. If your water source uses chloramine, Prime's combination of sodium thiosulfates will neutralize the chlorine and bind to any ammonia released as a result of the cholorine neutralization. Prime alleges to bind to ammonia and nitrite for a time frame of 24 - 48 hours and maintains the ammonia and nitrite in an inert state until it can be oxidized by nitrifying bacteria. After, the bond is released and both the ammonia and nitrite become harmful. If you are only using Prime to dechlorinate water, then only one adequate dose ( I say adequate as some water systems use more chlorine than others, thus requiring more Prime to neutralize chlorine). If you are using Prime to manage Ammonia or Nitrite build up, then additional dosing along with nitrification would be required. Best of luck.

6. OP
    OP
    T

TechnikValued MemberMember

thanks. I am just dosing tap water to detox it for fill ups and water changes. my tank is fully cycled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice