What Happens If I Don’t Change The Tank Water For 2 Weeks? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by akcarroll12, Sep 18, 2018.

1. akcarroll12

akcarroll12Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have a 29 gallon that is fully established with a dwarf gourami, snail, 7 albino Corys, and 6 neon tetras. The filter is a 30 power filter. I also have a 5.5 gallon with a 10 g power filter and a betta and snail. I will not be home for the next two weeks and the pet sitter is really inexperienced. I don’t want her to have to clean the tanks. Will this be ok?

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,505
    Experience:
    2 years
    The world will probably end, idk lol

The nitrates will be high, that’s all. It shouldn’t kill the fish.

3. jacob thompson

jacob thompsonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +307
    Experience:
    3 years
    Athe nirates will rise above 20ppm which is not recommended but it will not kill your fish. The reason you change it every week is because prolonged exposure to high nitrates can cause health concerns, I wouldn’t be worried about waiting an extra week on partial water changes. Just be very specific about how much food to feed the fish, overfeeding will cause a nitrate or ammonia spike and that can cause problems for the fish.

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,265
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Should be fine. Cut the feeding in half while your gone. Me I would change the water the day before you leave and have a bucket of replacement water for evaporation. This way fish sitter doesn’t use tap water. Have fun.

5. jewelleigh

jewelleighNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    I would be more concerned with someone inexperienced overfeeding the fish and causing a spike. Is she feeding them everyday?

Anyway, I've gone without changing the water for two weeks plenty of times. Nothing bad has ever happened.

If anything, I would be more concerned about the small tank, as less water will be more sensitive to overfeeding and spiking as a result. Could you give her three quart jars? One empty and have her fill it up with the dirty water and empty it in the sink a couple times. And then two jars that is full of water already with water conditioner and she can just pour it in the tank? I don't think that's an absolute must but that's a simple way to change about 5% of the water...

6. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,400
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Get a weekly pill organizer to place food in so sitter feeds exactly how much you want.
    I agree with 86 ssinit on other info..Have fun !

7. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,021
    Experience:
    2 years
    I do what coralbandit suggested, premeasure out food in pill container. While away shorten the photoperiod and feed no more then once every other day.
    A bucket of water for the top off if needed is a good idea, don’t want the sitter to have to get more involved then necessary.

And just an FYI, Fish will be fine for 2weeks with no feeding if you choose not to have the sitter come ;)

8. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Experience:
    2 years
    I wouldnt have them feed the fish at all you fish will be fine for 2 weeks without food.

9. Greg F

Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +566
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What they said!!

10. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    2 weeks? Heck I don't change any tank water in my 75 gallon for months. Everything just fine.

11. rainbowsprinkles

rainbowsprinklesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +596
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Depends on your method of fish keeping . If you can only stabilize your nitrates with weekly or 2ce a week water changes you could lose fish.. if you have healthy denitrifying bacteria and stable nitrates so water changes are not emergency every week then you could go months.. if the former I suggest a nitrate exchange resin (like nitrazorb) to suck them up while you are away. My nitrates are usually 0 But I use it anyway in my big tanks when I go on vacation in case something dies. It prevents an ammonia spike and total tank collapse.

12. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +864
    I go away for work often, and normally about 2 weeks. I do a big water change before I go , and my partner feeds the fish once every 3 days. My tanks are well planted, so I dont cut down my photo period as I want to make sure the plants are using up the nutrients (nitrates).

13. Aquilist

AquilistWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +350
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have this same question, about a five gallon with a betta. I'm really worried and I don't trust my sister changing the water. What do I do?

14. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,265
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do all of the above :)

15. Jeffsglo

JeffsgloValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    3 years
    I have two ten gallon aquariums. One has one tetra glow-fish and the other two Zebra danios glow-fish. I went on vacation for two weeks. And did not feed them or do water changes. I did not clean the aquariums either. If you have established aquariums the fish will feed off of the algae in the substrate and on decor. When I got home. The fish were fine. That was in June and they are still doing great. I would not have anyone do anything for you while away. You could have more problems than not feeding them. Good luck

16. Do0kski

Do0kskiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    2 years
    It should be good. I do weekly water changes and the highest nitrates I get is 20ppm. I've thought about skipping water changes and letting it go for 2 weeks, should be around 40ppm which is the max anyone should go. I've tested my local pet stores and they have like 80ppm:(

17. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Do a large water change on both tanks before you leave (75-80%) and have her feed sparingly (two-three times a week max), when you return two weeks later, do a 50% water change on both tanks and see how everyone did. Some fish can go two weeks without being fed (some fish get nippy when they haven't eaten in that long lol). Do the pill box suggestion listed above to make sure food is being fed properly without having much effort of her part (pop the lid of the food day and put in aquariums, done).

18. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +389
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you're worried, add some carbon and/or zeolite to the filter -I only do water changes about every 4 weeks in general but I change about 95% of the water.