What happens if a betta eats a snail?

julifhy

I have small pest snails in my 10 gallon that I’m setting up for my betta and I got pest snails from the hornwort I put in the tank. The snails sort of swim at the surface of the water and I’m worried that my betta might eat one lol. I’m going to try my best to get rid of them (the tank isn’t filled up all the way because I have to rinse the gravel again), so I might be able to get rid of hopefully all of them.
Anyways, had this happened to anyone before? What happened after the betta ate the snail? Is it okay if a betta eats a snail?
(Sorry if these are dumb questions lol, I’m just curious)

GingerV513

I have had pest snails in with two of my bettas and the bettas have tried to eat them and every time they do they spit the snail out and that is the end of it. My female also seemed to eat half of one snails soft body and she is fine. My other betta doesn’t seem to notice them, but he is a very nice boy. I also read somewhere that it is ok for them to eat them if their shells are crushed.

Upvote 0

julifhy

I have had pest snails in with two of my bettas and the bettas have tried to eat them and every time they do they spit the snail out and that is the end of it. My female also seemed to eat half of one snails soft body and she is fine. My other betta doesn’t seem to notice them, but he is a very nice boy. I also read somewhere that it is ok for them to eat them if their shells are crushed.
My betta has a huge mouth lol. I have him a pretty big blood worm once thinking he would tear it to smaller pieces, but he just swallowed it whole , so I wouldn’t be surprised if he also managed to eat a snail lol. I’ll also didn’t know they could eat snails if their shells are crushed. I’ll look into that!

Upvote 0

SawyerDawn

I don't have the smaller pest snails in with my betta, only a nerite. I can say that she was incredibly aggressive towards the nerite for the whole day after I got the snail. After the first day though, she immediately got used to the snail and they've lived in peace for months. I'd say even if the betta picks at the snails, it shouldn't harm the betta and it will probably just get distracted and leave the snails alone. No guarantee, that's just my opinion from observing.

Upvote 0

GingerV513

I don't have the smaller pest snails in with my betta, only a nerite. I can say that she was incredibly aggressive towards the nerite for the whole day after I got the snail. After the first day though, she immediately got used to the snail and they've lived in peace for months. I'd say even if the betta picks at the snails, it shouldn't harm the betta and it will probably just get distracted and leave the snails alone. No guarantee, that's just my opinion from observing.
I actually had the same experience with nerites (with my calmer betta)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
InsanityShard
  • Question
Replies
Views
Neptunethebetta
  • Question
Replies
Views