What Happened?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by DuaneReads, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DuaneReads

DuaneReads New Member Member

My guppy isuelt has suddenly died. I bought him on the 15th of July of this year and he was always swimming around highly energetic and didn't seem to have anything wrong. Ten minutes before I found it dead, it was still very energetic. I have attached some pics of him I took once I took him out of the aquarium. Can anyone see anything wrong? 1501771194953-1404537653.jpg 1501771222457-1560047710.jpg 1501771222457-1560047710.jpg 1501771222457-1560047710.jpg

2. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

what are the water params. Tank size, filter, heater, tank mates?

3. OP
    OP
    DuaneReads

10 gallon, 1 before snail, 3 other male guppies, 5 shrimp. Sponge filter. No heater atm but temperature is always between 80F and 85F, barely fluctuating over a few days. I can't check tank para but I do water changes weekly and the tank was fully cycled before I placed the fish in.

4. Reef13G YT

I'll do some research but right of the bat your tank is too hot. Guppy ideal temperature is 73-78. 85 would not be ideal at all for your guppy.
    Also it's a possibility the shrimp could have killed it. It's unlikely, but yes since you recently got him, the shrimp could have very well killed him

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    DuaneReads

I meant nerite snail not before. Also the guppy lived in similar temperatures all of its life before. I got him from a local breeder that didn't cool their water and left them in room temperature water and he heated it during the colder months.

6. Reef13G YT

ok that wasn't the answer then

how long have you been cycling

7. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

8. OP
    OP
    DuaneReads

I had cycled for 2 weeks before adding the shrimp, a week later I added the snail and 3 weeks after that I added the first guppy, the one that died. And I checked the para with the local fish shop before addinadding the shrimp and another time before adding Isuelt, the dead guppy. The paramers were stable.

I can't check but my shrimp would have probably died before the guppy if that were the problem, right?

9. Reef13G YT

He might've been old, lol, [seriously it's a possibility]

Are you sure he was dead [jk]

But with all honesty I think your shrimp could've killed it

10. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

If the shrimp killed it, there would have been visible holes where the shrimp started eating it, because shrimps don't randomly kill its tankmates for no reason.

11. Reef13G YT

I have little experience with freshwater. Forgive me.

Did you notice any aggression with your shrimp towards the guppies

12. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

Water parameters?

13. OP
    OP
    DuaneReads

No aggression, not even the guppies were aggressive towards the shrimp.

I can't check atm because I test at a local fish shop and it's closed for about 2 weeks starting today.

14. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Don't feel like you have to respond if you don't have experience on a particular topic. It's often preferable to wait for someone with more experience to come along.

15. Reef13G YT

Ok not exactly sure at all now. It has got to be water params. When was your last WC?

16. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you lost your guppy. There are many possibilities here. That particular guppy could have had an illness with minimal outward symptoms.

It doesn't seem likely that your tank was truly cycled. What were you using as an ammonia source during the two weeks before adding the shrimp? Shrimp most likely wouldn't have enough of a bio-load to properly cycle the tank. Living in a tank that is cycling can stress the fish and weaken their immunity, causing them to succumb to illness more easily.

Having the water tested at the pet store can be very unreliable. I've seen so many posts where people have their water tested at a store and been told they were "fine", but when they finally test it themselves, the parameters were not fine at all. You may want to consider purchasing an API master test kit if you are able. It's very helpful to know specific measurements of your water parameters and more convenient to be able to do it yourself.

17. OP
    OP
    DuaneReads

I was using one large algae pellet every 2-3 days.

18. OP
    OP
    DuaneReads

Last Sunday. I do a 20 -25% water change every Sunday.

19. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

Ammonia or nitrite poisoning. It's the only explanation.

20. kabellem

kabellem Valued Member Member

So sorry about your guppy, I hope you can get your tank figured out well, so you can have success in the future!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice