What Happened To This Fish!? (pics!)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TombedOrchestra, Apr 15, 2018.

1. T

TombedOrchestra Valued Member Member

This fish has been intermittently lethargic the past few days. Would sit on the bottom doing nothing, then back to normal darting around. Today I found him upside down with occasional breathing. I was sure he was dead (or just about there). Then, suddenly, he righted himself and was darting all around the tank and acted normal for about 7 hours. Then, suddenly again, I found him slowly twisting into this position and fully dead.

You can see from the pics, this is terrible twisting. Even after removal from the tank the twisting remains.

What happened to this fish?

I have been treating for suspected parasites with medicine (and I followed the directions exactly!) I'm on about day 7 of treatment. But I don't think this is parasites!

Water levels: 0, 0, 20ish. Higher pH (8.6) but stable. 55 gallon tank with 4 gupies, 2 mollies, 3 platties.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Anyone else thinks TB? :nailbiting:

OP, I would sanitize that table and pretty much everything that poor dead fish has touched, and then do a lot of WC.

3. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your lose looks like he had a case of nitrate poisoning

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  4. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

The link doesn't work (404)

5. OP
    OP
    T

Yes, can you check the link? I'd like to read!!

6. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Nitrate poisoning wouldn't really cause the back to bend.

7. OP
    OP
    T

That was my assumption as well. I was thinking TB as I've heard that it can cause spinal deformities. But I wasn't sure if anyone thought it may be anything else?

If it happened to be TB, from what I understand, there's no cure correct? Is it highly contagious?

8. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

From your description it sounds like a seizure of some sort?

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Could be TB, but could also be many other things. I wouldn't panic about the possibility of it being TB. Just wash your hands after putting them in the tank (as we should all be doing anyway), and make sure you don't have any open wounds when putting your hands in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice