what happened to simple

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by jays guppies, Jul 23, 2015.

1. j

jays guppies New Member Member

What's up so my name is jay
    my question is I sit here astounded by all my tanks and breader tank so I was walking threw my store and I see all this stuff spong filters co2 pumps and I asked my self when did it become so complicated I still run my standard tanks top filter bubbler heaters lights and

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Super cool to meet you! :D

Lol, I just have the hood to my tank, a filter (which I may need to replace), lights, heater, and thermometer. I guess I'm keeping it simple too haha!

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Jay welcome to FishLore!

I suppose the equipment one buys depends on the type of tank they want to keep.

I must ask though, being a store owner why sell things you feel are unnecessary.
    Why not allow your store to follow your fish keeping philosophy...keeping it simple.

Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand why.

4. OP
    OP
    j

I guess I'm just into the simple lol But I do love what people are doing with there tanks with the equipment.its living art living beauty in a glass box

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have always liked simple, the only equipment in my tanks is filter, heater & lights, the only other thing that goes in my tanks is dechlorinator

6. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I think it depends on what the owner is trying to accomplish (besides maintaining healthy fish), like high tech plant setups. Also, not everyone has great water out of the tap and though equipment may not be needed, often additives are.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    j

It simple!!!!!!!�� lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  8. frampy

frampy Well Known Member Member

I have some tanks with just heaters lights and filters and some with all the bells a whistles. I run low tech and high tech planted tanks. Just depends on the types of plants I want to keep. I do spend extra on lights and all my tanks have glass hoods. Guess it depends on if I have the money or not when setting them up. Well that and the look I am going for on each one.

9. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i'm doing a hardcore simple tank for my fry/shrimp. sponge filter and a heater. the only thing that is special is that i'm making a moss wall for the back, but other than that its gonna be fairly plain.

10. OP
    OP
    j

That's awesome

11. LilChicken

LilChicken Valued Member Member

I feel your pain. I'm new to the hobby after nearly ten years away and boy has everything changed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the new stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

I seem to see things a little differently, but maybe because my friends and I were always into high tech.

We had pretty much all of the same fancy mechanical items back when I did this before in the 1970s and '80s.

The difference, to me, is having better access to everything now. We used to read magazines and learn about various equipment and techniques, then build it ourselves.

Now, we read about it on the Internet, can order factory-built versions of most items if we want, and even see these doo-dads in the local stores.

I think the internet forums, the on-line retailers, and big box pet stores have brought the highest of tech to far more people than ever. If the mom and pop pet store doesn't carry the items, people will still read about it on line or see it in the big box pet store. So the mom and pop places have to stock it all or be left out.

The one thing I do see that seems really different now versus then, is how common it is for aquarists to have test kits and do chemical testing. We never did any of that back then!

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I've had tanks that are bare bottom with sponge filters and in tank heaters. Grow out and breeding tanks for the most part. I recently moved and all those tanks are in storage. But I'm working on getting the simple ones up and running again.

So right now the tanks that are running are a bit more high tech I suppose. My reason is I can keep most of the equipment out of the tanks which I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice