What Happened To Pearl My Ryukin?

Ryukinmom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is Pearl - 3 year old white female ryukin. She is in a 150 gallon tank of mostly ryukins her size, mostly male. Water parameters excellent (450 fluval cartridge filter, CO2 and anubius). The males were after her this week and she now has a large very red area on both sides (worse on one side) and black spots on the gills on that side. No scales are missing, no open sores, she is swimming fine and hungry as always. Is this the result of breeding aggression??? She has never looked like this before. Should I add anything to the water (Maracyn, slime coat, salt, Melafix???) to prevent infection or will this heal on its own??? 20180510_215633.jpg

Attachments

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m not familiar with the species but it is always better to have more females than males.

If one cute 16 year old girl is with 6 young men, they will try to outdo each other for her affection. If it was 3 young men and 6 young women, they will act more civilized.

Just saying.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hunter1 said:
I’m not familiar with the species but it is always better to have more females than males.

If one cute 16 year old girl is with 6 young men, they will try to outdo each other for her affection. If it was 3 young men and 6 young women, they will act more civilized.

Just saying.
Truth. Is that how she looks? Kinda like someone applied blush to her side?

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
Truth. Is that how she looks? Kinda like someone applied blush to her side?
Yeah, bright pink on the right side. And a black spot as if someone poked her with a magic marker above the gills on the right. The left side was barely noticeably pink from the one photo.

@Ryukinmom, do you have a hospital tank you can put her in while she heals up? At least get her away from the males for now?

Ryukinmom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes (blush) + the black dots on the gill on the same side. I agree with the desirability of more females than males - the problem is sexing a young goldfish- the tubercules on the gills usually don't appear until the fish is mature. I will buy a beautiful - and often large - Ryukin or celestial or whatever and at the LFS - no tubercules and looking to all the world like a female. Then I'll get him/her all comfortable in my tank and next thing I know, the new fish is a hound dog for my few confirmed females. Maybe it's the exposure to all the other male hormones in the tank that makes them suddenly mature. By that time, I love them and know they are happy in their home, so I can't bear to return or sell them because of gender discrimination. So, if ya'll don't like Melafix, should I add some Kordon fish protector or just do nothing and hope she doesn't get an infection?

Thanks Bogart - I thought about that - a month ago I put my other FAVORITE female - my oldest and largest fish - a 12" telescope in a hospital tank when she started having some buoyancy issues and after I took her to vet who supposedly specialized in icthyology. She was doing great and I gave her one more night in that tank planning to return her to the big tank in the morning. When I went to get her, she had crossed the rainbow bridge. The same thing happened when I put Pearl's brother in quarantine - dead two day later without warning. So, I'm paranoid about putting these big fish (Pearl is more than 6 inches up and down and across) in a tank smaller than they are used to - particularly since their shape naturally squishes up their internal organs anyway. They are leaving her alone right now and she ate her bloodworms tonight with gusto, so I'll just watch her for awhile but still welcome your advice.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would see what she looks like in a few hours. Have the males stopped bothering her? What else do you have in the tank? If it’s not heavily planted especially with salt sensitive plants, you could add salt to aid healing. If they continue going after her, you’ll need to qt her in another tank. Definitely going to need more girls. Let us know how she looks in a few hours?

Ryukinmom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will- thanks so much!

Btw- the last picture- I'll attach here- is how Pearl looks
IMG_2006 (1).jpg
normally.

Ryukinmom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, all - Pearl is still acting just fine but not much improvement in what I hope are just abrasions. The right side has improved but the left is still scary, especially the
20180512_152214 (1).jpg
20180512_152212.jpg
e black on that one gill side. Thoughts?

Attachments

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
I’m so sorry she’s still not well. I need eyes again. I’m sorry I’m not checking in more often. Having issues.
@david1978 @Thunder_o_b can you help? Thank you.
I do not know goldfish at all but there are several members that keep them. Hopefully they came be of more help than I.

Maybe @Goldiemom can help.

Ryukinmom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just wanted to close the loop and thank everyone who responded- Pearl made a complete recovery and is her same beautiful self once again. I wanted to pass along an -idea that helped her convalescence- I have lost some of my big fancies when I have moved them to a separate hospital tank - different environment, size, water environment- who knows why. I found these little plastic baskets for a $1.00 (dollar tree) - they float in the tank, ,are large enough to give the isolated fish plenty of room, they couldn't see her, I could see her through the little handles and it allowed continuous clean temperature stable water exchange as it floated and the water entered and exited the handle openings (so it works for tropicals and fancies). I kept Pearl in one for days and have since used them for hatching and raising pleco fry in the main tank (just added an air stone for agitation) and even isolated fish needing medication by reducing the amount of water in the basket below the handles so the basket floats higher and fish and meds stay in the basket without affecting the other fish or the tank. They come in various sizes as well. Hope this helps!

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom