What Happened To My Tank Overnight??? Help

1. c

conner Day New Member Member

so before bed last night my ammonia was 0.02ppm ph was 7.2 nitrate 20 nitrite 0.5.
    I wake up this moring and all heck broke lose with my levels.
    i have a ph of 6.0, nitrate 80-100, nitrite 10 ammonia 0.02, all my fish are still alive
    i just did a 50% water change hopefully this helps any advice with this weird situation? im 1 and a half months in a fish in cycle with a 10 gal with 4 fish and 2 ghost shrimp in it
    i dont over feed and feed every 2 days blood worms i have sand bottom and 5 live plants although they are getting brown and fading i assume because if the lvls

2. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

How long has the tank been set up? Sounds like it wasn't completely cycled before fish went in or you put to many fish in at once and caused a mini cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    c

i started with 2 fish from day 1 then added 2 more on the last 2 weeks along with the shrimp been going about 2 months

4. d

So the tank has been set up for 2 weeks?

5. OP
    OP
    c

no i have had everything in itt for about 2 months ago i set it up with 2 fish in it right away with safe start, only spikes ive had were ammonia spikes witch i fixed with water changes nothing like this

6. d

Sorry 2 months

7. OP
    OP
    c

yes ive had it for 2 months and my parchments were always ammonia 0.05, ph 7,2, nitrite 0.5 and nitrate 20

8. d

To me it sounds like a mini cycle. You shouldn't have had any ammonia or nitrites. When you start seeing this pop up its usually a mini cycle but you also say very high nitrates. Do you have dead plant leaves in the tank? This could also cause the problem.

9. d

I would also look for a dead fish.

10. OP
    OP
    c

i have removed the dead leafs from plants and took them out and re put them in, no dead fish like i said everyone is still alive and swimming

11. d

Do you take the plants completely out of the tank when removing dead leaves? It could possibly be that you are getting some leaching out from the substrate when removing the plants, could be wrong just spitballing but it would make sense.

12. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

If these are your normal perimeters I don't think this tank has completed its cycle. A cycled tank should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates. An uncycled tank can do what you woke up to this morning.

I would do several small water changes to get the PH back up to its normal level and then add some crushed coral in either the filter or actually in the tank. As it very slowly dissolves it will help to keep your PH stable. It won't happen instantly but it will help from now on as long as you replenish it as it dissolves.

If you don't already use it I recommend getting a bottle of Seachem Prime. It will neutralize both the ammonia and nitrites and make them safer for your fish. Water changes and Prime will eventually help this tank complete its cycle.

13. Algonquin

Algonquin Valued Member Member

Any changes to your filter media that could have caused a spike or mini-cycle? Like did you change out media or rinse it under the tap, anything like that?
    Also might be a good idea to test your tap water to check those levels.
    :)