What Happened To My Mystery Snail?! :( Important

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ladyrivermouse, Apr 14, 2018.

1. l

ladyrivermouse Valued Member Member

My little mystery snail was happily stuck to the side of the tank when I left for work this morning. When I came home he was was tucked up in the corner and I thought he had died. When I looked closer I saw that he was still alive and moving but his shell is cracked and he's all scrunched up and folded. I'm freaking out and I don't know how to help him! What do I do?? 20180414_153519.jpg 20180414_153834.jpg 20180414_151555.jpg 20180414_151535.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

He's folded up because he's partially retracting into his shell, and not fully closed up.
    Not sure how the shell cracked, but it is he getting enough nutrients?

3. OP
    OP
    l

I think he is, he's a new addition to my tank and my first snail, I'm still learning about him. From the research I've done he should be in a environment with plenty of nutrition.

4. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Please read my care sheet. He should be getting a meat based sinking pellet every day

5. OP
    OP
    l

He's unfolded himself and cautiously moved a little. I'm a little less freaked out now I think he might have unstuck himself too far from the top of the tank and hit a rock on the way down. It shouldn't have damaged his shell that badly though.
    What should I do about the cracked shell? Is it going to repair itself or does he have a permanent character feature?
    I do have sinking pellets for him but
    I'm going to pick up some extra algea wafers and pellets in the morning. Maybe Blanche some veggies tomorrow too.

6. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

Get some clay epoxy and patch it up, there are tons of YouTube videos on how to fix it. If water hits his internal organs he will die.

7. OP
    OP
    l

Alas, despite my best efforts, I mourn the passing of Steve McQueen :( perhaps snails are not for me.

8. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

If you get more younger ones they will grow more durable shell from the start with their daily meat water. Also I would consider adding calcium to the water which is also described in my care guide.

9. OP
    OP
    l

I had read that cuttlefish was good to put in the tank or the filter so I did have a piece in the tank and I was feeding veggies with sinking pellets too. I wonder if maybe he was an older snail? He was pretty big compared to the others in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice