What happened to my Juicy fish?

1. Nut-meg Member Member

This is Juicy. She's the oldest fish I had. A platy, about two years old. I found her floating like this this morning. The appearance of her belly alarms me a little. Any ideas on what might have happened?

Note: She was not pregnant. No male platys in the tank.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like internal damage (if we're talking about that black mark behind her pectoral fin).

3. Nut-meg Member Member

I cant figure out how that could happen... All the other fishes seem fine. Gravel is too big for her to swallow.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Livebearers like to get into trouble. She probably shoved herself up in something, and then had a hard time getting back out. You would think self preservation would kick in and "You don't fit, don't go in there!" but noooooo :rolleyes: I've lost a few of my prized Guppies to them being stupid and getting stuck in tight spaces.

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

You mean by going behind the heater when they cant:;smack lol my male guppy got stuck doing that.

6. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

You mean by going behind the heater when they cant:;smack lol my male guppy got stuck doing that.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That and shoving up under decor, in plants, in holes in decor that they barely fit in... You name it :;fru Crazy fish -_-

8. Nut-meg Member Member

Okay, well several days later everyone else is still alive. I guess poor Juicy just got too enthusiastic about something. Would getting stuck like that make these bruise like marks on her? I feel bad because she was the last one of the platys that came with the tank when I first started fishkeeping. Now I just have one platy. Don't know if I want to get them again.