What happened to my fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SevenEro, Dec 4, 2012.

1. SevenEro

SevenEro Valued Member Member

I have been feeding Repashy Community Plus to this tank for the last week, and just to mix things up 2 nights ago, I gave them some of their old food (from kensfish.com: Golden Pearls 200-300 microns, Decapped Brine Shrimp, color flakes with Naturose, veggie flake, and brine shrimp flake all crushed up and mixed together). But this time it looks like it stuck to them. :( There has never been any disease in this tank, and that's the only thing that was different from previous days. There isn't any disease in any of my tanks that may have been accidentally transferred. Filters are AC 50 and Cascade 150. It has been cycled since May. API Freshwater test results are normal/healthy, weekly 30% water changes. Stock list is in my sig (16gal bowfront). Here is a video. The rams have it the worst...

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That looks like ICH to me. Have you dded any fish lately that might have brought it in? Or the temps dropped in your tank in the last week or so?
    These are the two most common causes of ICH. New fish brought it in or the fish got chilled. these aren't the only reasons by any means.

Now to treat this is the manner that is gentlest for your fish and still works :) raise your water temp up to or a little over 82F, do a large water change and substrate vacuum, then do smaller frequent water changes and substrate vacuums. Continue to do this for 14days. If you still see ANY spots at all continue for another week. this will take care of the ICH. Keep us posted on how their doing please.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

okay, I'll start doing that today, but I haven't added any fish at all or changed the water temp. absolutely nothing has changed. how do they spontaneously get ich?? i'd like to know so i can prevent this from happening in my other tanks. seriously the only thing that was different was that i fed them they're other kensfish food instead of the repashy.

the heater in there is pre-set at 78F. the only extra heater I have is 100W. that won't be too much for this tank, will it?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

how long does it take to heat a tank from ~75F to 82F? seems like it should be done by now...

5. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

finally reached 82F about 24 hrs ago, was stuck at 81F since the night I posted about this. everyone looks better except for one of my rams. s/he looks WORSE!!!! the other ram has a couple dots, but this one is covered!! poor thing! all the endlers and the molly seem fine.

how can I help my ram?? why is s/he getting worse??

6. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I'd increase it to 86F personally. I feel it speeds up the ich life cycle faster.

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Heat does not only speed up the life cycle, it does kill the ICH.

8. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

okay, it's at 84F right now so I'll turn it up just a pinch more... and wait n see :-/

9. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

cranked it up but the one fish is still getting even worse. s/he's swimming around like nothing is wrong but is covered in even more spots. :(

10. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

okay, lost a female endler. the temp has been up for 5 days, and the ICH is even worse still on the one ram and still present lightly on the other fish. it would seem that this is a heat-resistant strain?

what can i try next to keep from losing more fish?? which meds work best??

11. C

Doesn't sound like ICH to me.

12. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

what should i do then? i'll try to post a pic tomorrow. the one ram looks like she swam thru a blizzard.

would paraguard help them??? garlic guard too??? vita-chem?? all 3?? none of the above???

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  13. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

I did water changes and added para guard since dec 10 and about 3 days ago I noticed the dots are mostly gone from everyone. now almost everyone has fin rot (I think?) to some degree. temp has been at 86-88F since I raised it.

do I keep the temp raised for two more weeks now that it appears the dots are gone?

14. C

Are you keeping up with water changes? Fin rot is usually only caused by dirty water. If you are treating with medicine, you shouldn't need to keep the temp up.

15. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

yep, this tank has been running April, and it's never gone more than one week between water changes. since this disease showed up, it's gotten 3+ 50% changes per week. I tried to keep it up daily, but I work so many hours (full-time+) and I'm going to school. end of semester woes. I've never seen tail rot in any of my tanks, so I figured it was a result of whatever disease this is.

glad to know I can turn the temp back down. I've been wanting to add some plants. is it okay once the temp gets back to ~74F to add plants while I'm using para guard?

16. C

74 is pretty cold. Is that a GBR in there? I'd keep at 78-80.

If you are still adding medicine, I'd hold off on the plants.

17. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

sounds good, 78F it is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice