Status
Not open for further replies.

v.tewell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
phone 1 24 13 087.jpg

Woke up a couple of mornings ago and seen my fish with a red dot on it. I guess it resembles blood but it looks like it is under its skin. The fish will not get close to the edge of the tank for me to take a good picture of it.

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like Ammonia burns. What size is the aquarium what species, looks like a type of cichlid.

JDcichlidlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would get Prime, its much more effective, and you can use it as a water conditioner too Do you havea api master test kit?

JDcichlidlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hmmm. well that rules out ammonia poisoning. what do you use to clean the outside of the tank with?
we just had this girl from grooming decide to use windex and clean the outside of the tank. we lost 2 big blue starfish (never lost them before, ever) a bunch of guppies, and most of the neons. Windex can seep into the glass.
It might just be a big blood blister.

v.tewell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmmm. well that rules out ammonia poisoning. what do you use to clean the outside of the tank with?
we just had this girl from grooming decide to use windex and clean the outside of the tank. we lost 2 big blue starfish (never lost them before, ever) a bunch of guppies, and most of the neons. Windex can seep into the glass.
It might just be a big blood blister.

I let my sucker fish do the cleaning and I just change out my water. 25% a week normally.

JDcichlidlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
you still have to change the carbon pad once in a while. thats what gets some of the baddies out of the water.

v.tewell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you still have to change the carbon pad once in a while. thats what gets some of the baddies out of the water.
Sorry for my ignorance.... what is a carbon pad? Is that the mesh-looking thing that goes in the filter?

JDcichlidlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
its ok its the "what once was white" thing, like a bag kinda, with what feels like gravel in the bottom. I recommend you do a wc and wash that pad in the old tank water til its almost white again. don't forget the bacteria live in it so don't rip it up
put the pad back, put a sponge in there too, and don't replace it for a few weeks so the sponge is totally seeded with bb.

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dont think its ammonia burn.... "IF" hes/shes got a partner... cuz i had a pair before and they fought and i saw the same red spot.. which was actually a wound..

flyinggogo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you think its a wound i would treat with melefix. Or big more frequent waterchanges for a while. Waterchanges are the fishy fountain of youth.

Maybe a bit of aquarium or epson salt. Up to 1tbs per 5 gallons

Last edited by a moderator:

v.tewell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The red dot has disappeared and now its white. He seems to not be swimming around a lot ... Hanging at the bottom of the tank and not eating much from what i notice. He always hides from me when i get close to him, but now he just kind of swims in the same place for a while then moves away from me.

JDcichlidlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i would do larger water changes. the bb live in the filter, giving them mostly new water will not hurt them in the least bit. like 80-90 % water changes. new water usually helps any illness. adding stress coat and garlic juice to his diet would probably be benificial as well. I know jo has a good video somewhere. let me find it...

edit: bankruptjojo's video [video=youtube_share;r8-O9L0r5Ek]http://youtu.be/r8-O9L0r5Ek[/video]

Last edited:

v.tewell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He died yesterday.... poor thing other fish appear fine and normal. Don't see any marks on any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom