What Happened To My Cherry Barb (dropsy)

ethantobey

5 days ago I noticed a female cherry barb was insanely bloated, scales were sticking out and it anus was red, did some digging and came to the conclusion it was dropsy. At the time I thought for sure she was going to pass away reading other peoples stories. But to my surpise she is still alive, not bloated, and eating normally. Although she still has some "injuries" on her scales and a reddish anus. What happened??? I don't think water conditions had to do with it.

Crimson_687

It’s not uncommon for fish to recover from dropsy, then get it again when they become stressed. Watch her closely.
She may have just passed some of the bacterial blockage. However if her anus is still reddened, she is probably still sick, even if the liquid was released. Dropsy can be parasitical or bacterial, but is usually bacterial. I would recommend an antibiotic. Kanaplex may work although it is a bit weak

ethantobey

It’s not uncommon for fish to recover from dropsy, then get it again when they become stressed. Watch her closely.
She may have just passed some of the bacterial blockage. However if her anus is still reddened, she is probably still sick, even if the liquid was released. Dropsy can be parasitical or bacterial, but is usually bacterial. I would recommend an antibiotic. Kanaplex may work although it is a bit weak
Update: she is acting normally, injuries healing and no more red anus! Weird.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fshloover
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies
Views
FishFor2018
  • Question
Replies