What Happened To My Betta's Fins? Question

1. Saturnejo Initiate Member

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like some opinions about my Betta's fins.

I bought this Betta last April, I had him on his own in a 5 gal for many months and he was doing well.
    About 3 months ago I decided I wanted to upgrade my aquarium to a 10 gal
    I put the Betta with 3 julii cory and he was doing great, little to no aggression issues
    Since then I have added 4 black neon tetra and 4 von rio tetras.

About 2 weeks ago my Betta stopped eating and exploring the tank. He would sit on the bottom in the corner all the time, only coming up for air when he needed. He was like this for about a week, but now he is back to acting like himself and I'm not sure what was wrong with him. He is eating and swimming around like he used to and he appears happy to me. He doesn't attack his tank mates and they all pretty much stay out of his way.
    But now that he is up and swimming again, I noticed his fins look in bad shape, here is a picture of him today.
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

This was before he stopped eating and being active. Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    I know this picture is a bit blurry, but you can see his fins looked pretty good.

Is this fin rot or from stress? When I upgraded to the 10 gal I placed only silk plants to prevent any fin tears. I have a heater and keep the water at 81 degrees constantly. The tank is cycled and all the other fish are doing great. I do weekly water changes of about 20 - 30%.
    They say with fin rot you will see black or bloody fin tips, but I can't really tell if there is any blackness.
    Did I add to many tank mates for him and they are causing him stress which made him ill?

Thank you!

2. Pictusboss Member Member

I can't pull up the pictures. Post them again please.

3. Saturnejo Initiate Member

EVQ98k8.jpg tEwxcBW.jpg

4. Pictusboss Member Member

Fin Rot 101'

This website should help, but yeah, I think it is definitely fin rot. Its a shame, such a pretty fish!

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

You have stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them :) The other fish may be stressing out the betta, as well.

6. Saturnejo Initiate Member

Just did a test.
    pH is about 7.4
    ammonia is 0
    nitrites is 0
    nitrates is less than 5.0 ppm

7. Pictusboss Member Member

ph is a little high. did you see my link above? it has some pretty good information that could help you out.

Honestly, Texas Domer is the fish whisperer and as long as he is online you don't have to worry about much! He is one of the most well known members on FishLore!

8. Saturnejo Initiate Member

Yeah I saw the link, I am looking into setting up the 5 gal again to put the Betta in.

9. Pictusboss Member Member

good idea. do you have everything under control?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your pH is fine. I would start with larger and more frequent water changes to help him heal, both before you move the betta into the new tank and after. Something like 50% every other day (or even daily) might help.

I would actually just rehome the fish you have in the 10 gal with him, and keep him in the 10 gal. The other fish should be in a larger tank anyway - 10 gal isn't big enough for the fish you have, and they should be in larger groups too.

11. Pictusboss Member Member

yep, I agree. But don't bettas like pH a little lower?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The betta will do perfectly well in that pH. They are adaptable to a range of pH, and will be "happy" with 7.4.