what happened to him??

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi i recently got an oto and i aquimated him for 1hr 45mins everything seemed fine i put a nice big slice of cucumber in for him he was eateing away being happy i woke up the next morning and hes dead x.x Whats happend???? i know there delicate the first month of geting them but everything seemed fine.. water temp was 78 nitrate .1-.2 ammonia 0 what happend?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry about your oto.
Have you tested for nitrite?
When people say otos are sensitive, they're super sensitive. They're wild caught, then shipped then bought. That's a lot to go through for a little fish.
They can be stressed if not in a group and added to a very well established tank.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oops im sorry i meant nitrite not nitrate . so the ammonia is 0 NITRITE is .1-.2 ph is 7.0 and i dont have a nitrate tester i have 5 guppies and 8 tetras and 1 pearl gourami theres no aggression and the tank is very well planted.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Any amount of ammonia or nitrite are bad for these little guys. It would be a good idea to get a test for nitrates. While not toxic in low levels, it can be harmful if it creeps too high.
What test kit are you using? I'd be leery of test results done with strips.

I looked back, this tank was started in may? It would be a good idea to wait until the tank has been stable for about 6 months before trying to add any more.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oh sorry that info is wrong my tank been up longer that that its was cycled then had 2 goldfish in it (there now in a 25gal tank) and then converted to warm water tropical in total the tanks been up for at least 6 months now. sorry i need to fix that i joined in may when the tank was converted (it was already cycled for months) im useing Nutrafin water test kits.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
its nitrite .1-.2 deadly for these guys? will the store refund me? i got him yesterday he was the last of his kind in the tank

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying that.
With any nitrite reading, means the tank isn't fully cycled. Maybe a mini cycled for some reason?

Also, could be a bad stock. Like I said, they're super sensitive.
Even in perfect conditions some people have a hard time keeping them.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok thanks

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Lucy - these fish should go into only a well-established tank that is fully cycled. I would wait until a tank is cycled (no ammonia and no nitrites at all) for about 3 to 6 months before adding these little guys.

Also, they like company. A lone oto would not do well with your stock, in my opinion. As far as whether or not your store would give a refund, each place has its own warranty system, so that question should be directed to the store itself.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok thanks ill definitely hold off. thanks so much for your help

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads