What Gravel Vacuum do you Use?

Whitelightning

Hi, I'm looking to get a gravel vacuum and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Thanks!

StarGirl

I just have a vacuum with a bulb to start it. Works for me.

Cory04

I use the python one. It is amazing. Look at youtube videos to see how to use it.

Gudgie

StarGirl

Gudgie said:
For what size tank? I love our python that connects to the sink, but it really doesn't make sense for anything under 20 gallons or so. Plus you need to have a sink you can attach it to. I wouldn't want to do water changes on our 75 gal without it.
https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

Otherwise, I generally just use regular cheap aquarium siphons like these: https://www.amazon.com/Python-Pro-C...TE5AVQCZ0GV6&refRID=YBWX35HFTE5AVQCZ0GV6&th=1
Mine is like the second one but with a bulb.

JustAFishServant

I use two different types; the Python for my 5's, 10's, 15's, 20's, 29's, 30's, 40, 50, 90's, 125, & 200g, or typical airline tubing as a DIY syphon for nano tanks less than 3g. All you do is stick it in the tank, blow a few bubbles to start the vacuum, then suck in! It takes a few tries NOT to get fish water in your mouth, but you'll get it right eventually

JettsPapa

I tossed the bulb and the discharge hose that came with the vacuum. I added a longer piece of hose to the tube part. I stick the end of the hose outside through a door (or put it in the shower, depending on which tank I'm working on), then lower the tube into the tank with the open end slightly elevated. I raise it slowly until water starts flowing through the hose, then lower the tube back into the tank and the water will keep going. No squeezing the bulb and no sucking on the hose to start the vacuum.

Whitelightning

Gudgie said:
For what size tank? I love our python that connects to the sink, but it really doesn't make sense for anything under 20 gallons or so. Plus you need to have a sink you can attach it to. I wouldn't want to do water changes on our 75 gal without it.
https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

Otherwise, I generally just use regular cheap aquarium siphons like these: https://www.amazon.com/Python-Pro-C...TE5AVQCZ0GV6&refRID=YBWX35HFTE5AVQCZ0GV6&th=1
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! It's for a 5 gallon tank!
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I greatly appreciate it!

StarGirl

Whitelightning said:
The smaller the better for a 5g. Otherwise you suck water out too fast and don't get much vacuum time.
JettsPapa said:
I tossed the bulb and the discharge hose that came with the vacuum. I added a longer piece of hose to the tube part. I stick the end of the hose outside through a door (or put it in the shower, depending on which tank I'm working on), then lower the tube into the tank with the open end slightly elevated. I raise it slowly until water starts flowing through the hose, then lower the tube back into the tank and the water will keep going. No squeezing the bulb and no sucking on the hose to start the vacuum.
I can't believe i didn't think of this before! My slider is like 10 ft from my 55g. I'm definitely looking for some longer hose!

Whitelightning

StarGirl said:
The smaller the better for a 5g. Otherwise you suck water out too fast and don't get much vacuum time.

I can't believe i didn't think of this before! My slider is like 10 ft from my 55g. I'm definitely looking for some longer hose!
Thanks for the tip, I greatly appreciate it!

JollyOtter

I picked up the small top fin with the squeeze bulb earlier this week for a 6 gallon and it worked great.

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:

Just take the tubing you have to a hardware store so you can compare diameters. They should have spools in the store so an employee can measure out how much you want and cut it for you.

JettsPapa

StarGirl said:
As Betta'sAnonymous said, cut off a small piece of your existing hose and take it to a hardware store. They should have it in long coils, and will sell it by the foot. The big home improvement stores will also have it, but it will likely be in pre-packaged lengths; probably 10' and 20'.

Dennis57

I use a python but my smallest tank is a 20 gallon and goes up from there

Kathylee

Whitelightning said:
For a 5g you could just buy a small 5" gravel vacuum. They are usually inexpensive. I actually really liked the Aqueon one for my 5 & 10g. I tried a Python- just the gravel vacuum with the squeeze bulb & it didn't work great for me- but I have smaller tanks. These members up above had some great & creative ideas though!

Whitelightning

Kathylee said:
For a 5g you could just buy a small 5" gravel vacuum. They are usually inexpensive. I actually really liked the Aqueon one for my 5 & 10g. I tried a Python- just the gravel vacuum with the squeeze bulb & it didn't work great for me- but I have smaller tanks. These members up above had some great & creative ideas though!
Just bought the Aqueon one at the pet store today! It's meant for smaller tanks, so that's why I went with it! Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it!

Kathylee

Whitelightning said:
Just bought the Aqueon one at the pet store today! It's meant for smaller tanks, so that's why I went with it! Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it!
Awesome! Be careful if you have sand it will suck it right up! I have to crimp the hose to control the water suction so I do not find 1LB of sand in my dirty water pale haha

Latest threads

Top Bottom